Zabbix Agent

Has any one installed the Zabbix Agent on UCS? We’d like to install it for log collection for logs not captured under remote syslog sending.

Thanks.

Any one?

Hello,
I can only speak for univention, unfortunately we have no first-hand experiences with zabbix at the moment.
I had hoped the community can give input in this case. nudges the community :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
Jens Thorp-Hansen

Bring this one up again? As we are trying to get our UCS monitored besides Nagios. As we use an monitor consolidation cloud application called AlarmOne, which pulls in monitors into one single pane of glass. This is supposed to support Nagios, Zabbix and Inciga. But the pollers installed don’t seem to communicate with UCS Nagios.

Hey,

about the Nagios agents ( = the NRPE daemon): there are several things that can prevent successful connections from a server to the Nagios agent including but not necessarily limited to:

[ul][li]Does the firewall on the UCS server allow connections to the NRPE port (if the firewall is active)?[/li]
[li]If the server is located in a private network: has port forwarding been established from a machine with a public IP address to the UCS server? And has that port forwarding been allowed in all firewalls located between those two points?[/li]
[li]The NRPE server itself has a whitelist of IP addresses that it accepts connections from. Have you checked that setting? It’s called “allowed_hosts”.[/li][/ul]

As for Zabbix. I’m not running a Zabbix agent on UCS myself, but I’ve just given installing it a try and it’s rather easy and straightforward. I’m using the packages provided by Zabbix themselves:

[ol][li]Install the “zabbix-release” package for Debian Wheezy. This contains the APT repository information.[/li]
[li]Run “apt-get update”.[/li]
[li]Install the Zabbix agent with “apt-get install zabbix-agent”. The agent will be started automatically afterwards.[/li][/ol]

Note that installing binary packages made for Debian is often something that doesn’t work due to UCS not being quite the same as Debian. The current UCS release is based on Debian Wheezy but contains a lot of updated packages, especially in the area of Samba. Therefore conflicts regarding package versions are normal when trying to install from third-party repositories.

However, in the case of the Zabbix agent the dependencies are so few and harmless that the installation actually works.

A big fat warning: when it’s time to upgrade to a new UCS version (5.0 or whatever it will be called — the one based on Debian Jessie) you’ll have to take extra care of any third-party repositories and packages you’ve currently installed. Such packages and repositories will almost always screw up upgrades in unpredictable ways. You can prevent this by uninstalling any third-party packages and repositories prior to the upgrade and re-install them after the upgrade’s been completed. In case of Zabbix make sure to remove both the “zabbix-agent” package as well as the “zabbix-release” package for the repository. After the upgrade install the “zabbix-release” package for the “Debian Jessie” release, not the one you had installed earlier for the “Debian Wheezy” release.

Kind regards,
mosu

Thanks for the reply mosu,

We use the UCS Nagios only to monitor UCS based systems (Slaves, Master, Backup and Members servers), Zabbix to monitor everything else (Windows Switches Routers, Ubuntu, MySQL, PostGreSQL etc.). We are trying to feed both alarming tools into AlarmOne to manage the alerts/alarms through one single pane of glass. AlarmOne uses a Poller Agents installed at/on the application server to collect and forward alarms/alerts to AlarmOne. They say it supports Nagios/Nagios XI, Zabbix and other alarm/monitoring tools. However it appears that UCS Nagios is slightly different than NORMAL Nagios…

We use an agent called AlarmOne Poller, to collect alarms/alerts from the main UCS Nagios application server (Which is the UCS Master as well). However it can not connect, to the UCS Nagios installation because we can not find the API Auth token for our UCS Nagios application so that the AlarmOne Poller can pull in data directly from the Nagios application/database. Either the UCS Nagios does not have a auth token or does not support API calls to access it’s data.

AlarmOne requires a auth token to connect and run APIs against the application/database. So to get around this, we want to install the Zabbix agent on each UCS node, instead of the AlarmOne Poller directly on the UCS Nagios application node.

As the AlarmOne Poller is already installed on our main Zabbix server and sending data to AlarmOne already

Our end goal is to have all our alarming tools go to AlarmOne, which manages all the alarms/alerts from our hardware, applications and databases in one single place. It also then feeds a copy of those alarms/alerts as tickets into our Helpdesk system as well. The two are made by the same vendor and are cloud based.

As far as 3rd Party tools, we try to stick with packages that are supported by UCS, only 1 tool is no directly supports and that is our OBM Cloud Backup software, but the vendor is working with us to support this OS in their application. As such provides fixes if there are issues with it OS and the application.

I definitely understand where you’re coming from. Like I’ve said installing the Zabbix agent from the Zabbix repository seems to be safe enough as long as you plan and execute major UCS updates to carefully. I’d probably just install it if I was in your shoes.

I’ve had great luck with PandoraFMS for monitoring Linux, Windows, and anything else. Much easier to configure than Zabbix. Their online install docs cover Debian so UCS works fine.

Hi, how can I open permanently 10050 port on UCS?

This doesn’t work:
ucr set security/packetfilter/zabbix/tcp/10050/all=ACCEPT

This is about zabbix

10050 is a dafault zabbix port

Can you please start a new thread for such a question? It has nothing to do with the original poster’s question, and posting about completely unrelated stuff annoys participants in the original thread that aren’t interested in your topic. Thanks.

10050 is a dafault zabbix port

I know, but the original question was about the installation of Zabbix agent. Yours is about firewall configuration. And the original poster will still receive notifications for each reply in this thread, and he’s probably not interested in your problem.

Anyway, please see this section and this section. If you still have questions then please open a new thread for that. Thanks.

Mastodon