Why a well known BUG in Kopano is still not fixed after 3 months in UCS APP

Currently I evaluate UCS with Kopano to overtake my windows domain an exchange server.

Seems to work well. Together with Z-Push it seems I can run my outlook clients in future.

But: A lot of EMTPY mails arrived in outlook. After searchin for a while I mentioned, that is a well know BUG in Kopano who was fixed 3 months ago!

Developer “fbartels” in Kopano was asked for app update in UCS, he says:

" Hi @joja,
I have no immediate plans to upload this version to the appcenter. But a Kopano subscription already starts at 75€ for up to five users. See https://kopano.com/pricing/"

You can find thread here:

I do not understand this. It´s not a normal behaviour in opensource projects: NOT to fix public know errors.

Subscription means: Support, Service and AddOns and not to fix NOT errors.

So it seems UCS / Kopano is not the software I can trust for my project.

Too bad :frowning:

Can you provide us a date for include a bug fixed Kopano APP in UCS? So maybe I come back…

Best regards,
Frank

You have already demonstrated that you are just here to demand that you get something for free. What incentive do you give so others can want to fulfill your demand?

If you search here in the forum you will get some of your above questions already answered on other posts and will also find a solution to “how can I update” if you are really unwilling to make the contribution to get a proper subscription.

1 Like

Don´t understand your answer!

!YOU! include Kopano in UCS as a FREE App.

UCS App Center says: ||Lizenz|Kostenlose kommerzielle Nutzung. Einige Funktionen oder Dienste sind kostenpflichtig.|

Thats fact.

Second fact is, that this BUG did not exists in older versions.

You fixed this bug in actual versions 3 months before, but are not WILLING to fix it in UCS APP version, because you want to sell it to the ucs customers. Thats ok, it´s your business.

But clearly you say “I have no immediate plans to upload this version to the appcenter.”.

Better solution stop “kostenlose kommerzielle Nutzung” to make it clear to customers, that they have to buy your subscription. Change “kostenlose kommerzielle Nutzung” to “evaluation periode 30 days” or so.

Leaving a buggy APP version online it´s not the way I think.

And for sure I find your “solution” using a test key for about 30 days to get official main version.

And please don’t blame me to use software for FREE thats´s offered for free…

I am not the one throwing blame :wink:

That statement was back in december last year, meanwhile I have also written that I am planning to upload a new version once 8.7.1 is out.

Well, that wouldn’t be accurate. There is no time bomb/limit in the provided version and you can use it as much and as long as you want. Software is never without bugs and for customers we provide the possibility to easily update to more recent versions from our package repository.

In fact there is even a big paragraph about this in the app description:

Which Edition of Kopano do the apps provide?

Kopano is evolving very fast and delivers updates on a regular basis. While owners of a valid subscription receive these updates via our repositories, users of the Univention app are bound to the packages included in the app (the free app is otherwise not limited in the amount of users or features available). We do our best to update our apps once every 6 to 9 months.

In addition to this owners of a valid subscriptions are able to get in direct contact with our support.

Do you like Kopano? By buying a subscription you do not just benefit from updates and support. You are also supporting us to work on cool new features and ideas. Clicking the little “buy Kopano”-button helps the projects to grow!

See, if you found this statement, then you also found my reasoning behind this. Preparing an app update for UCS takes time and resources. For you to fill out a form and get a trial license key does not cost me any of my time nor resources.

1 Like

Oh, you define “Customer” as Person who uses Software without paying? Strange definition.
Kopano works well for me in the “free” Version, in case that you have a specific problem that you can’t solve yourself you have to pay for it.

A workaround has been given by the developer, you may use it or not. But better stop whining around that you don’t get the same level of support as a paying customer gets. And BTW: No one has forced you to use Kopano. Feel free to use all the other solutions freely available.

1 Like

You did a great job. Kopano is great software.

I managed to “workaround” the problem. It was a mixture of 2 things:

Your workaround did not work for me, because I run UCS 4.4 in my lab.

After finding the fix for this in another thread, update works and I can go forward with my lab evaluation.

Thanks

@fieps
I’m just diving into the discussion here because I think that it might not really sunk in what a forum/community for a open source version means…

such a forum/community lives by it’s users and how much they are willing to participate and share their experiences.

so it would be really nice if you would like to share your experiences with the workaround in a more detailed way…
like what was the suggested workaround? where did you find hints to it (link to the said comments/threads)? what exactly did you do? etc.

This might help other users (with a smiliar problem) to solve their problems as well at some future point.

thanks for your understanding.

1 Like

I think he was referring to UCS 4.4 Kopano Unterstützung

2 Likes

Hi Jimmy,

Kopano exists in 3 versions I think. The Community Version, the commercial version and the APP version for UCS.

I currently evaluate a solution to left my windows (EBS Server) domain behind and migrate to linux systems.

UCS seems to be a good solution for that. You can overtake AD Domain and with the KOPANO APP in UCS you can shutdown your exchange server.

Together with Z-Push your clients can still use the Outlook clients and windows clients.

Works perfect in lab ´till end of 2018. After Upgrade Kopano APP suddenly my test clients (Outlook with Active Sync) only sends and receives empty mails.

Problem was discussed in different threads. Error was found and published to the paying customers of Kopano and to the open source community. But update was not done for the UCS Kopano APP.

I understand fbartels, that doing this update is not so easy, because a lot of scipts have to change and he will wait until the next Kopano release for doing this.

After begging a lot from some users, fbartels gave the hint, that you can request a trial serial for Kopano from him to get the Update from the commercial channel into UCS.

This “trick” doesn´t work for me, because I already updated UCS to 4.4, but Kopano does only official work with 4.3

I´m too fast in my lab :wink:

So I found the solution in the post fbartel links above.

So quick solution:

1. Ask fbartel for a trial serial for Kopano.
  2. Enter this serial into the settings of your Kopano Web App in USC
  3. if running ucs 4.4 you have to manual patch one template file to get updates from the main repository of Kopano (see link above)

Hope this helps

PS: Sorry for blaming fbartel

2 Likes

Thats a very tainted statement that I do not want to let stand uncorrected. As a matter of fact the day the update was published for our customers I already made the offer to send out evaluation keys for those that really do not want to buy a subscription (I still think that 75€ per year for 5 users is a very reasonable price).

Proof: Mails in Outlook 2016 no longer consistent after upgrade to Kopano Core 8.6.8.2

1 Like
Mastodon