Migrate from UCS 4 to Microsoft AD 2019

Good afternoon, I have an environment with Univention that started small with 1 site and 2 farms, but today I’m facing serious problems with it, all of a sudden the RPC stops working and it’s necessary to restart Univention to make it work again. all possible logs and I don’t find the cause of the problem.

The company administrator asked to see if there is any way to migrate UCS to Windows Server AD without losing users.

I would like to know if there is a way to do the Inverted Takeover, pulling the entire domain from UCS to Microsoft AD from Windows Server 2019.

Does anyone know if it’s possible? And if so, what would the process look like? Thank you in advance for your help, as I have no idea what to do, I even thought of scheduling via cron the domain controller reboot 2 or 4 times a day to see if the problem goes away, but I gave up for fear of corrupting some file and making it even worse the situation.

Before the process, I will try to update the UCS to 5.0, but I want to be prepared in case of failure to have a plan B.

Hi
maybe you have a hardware problem. Check the memory with memtest86 and your disks with a smart tool (apt-get install smartmontools)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Smartmontools

Best Ben

It’s not a hardware problem, it’s running on a Proxmox with 18 more VMs and all working fine! I figured it was memory I increased to 8GB and 4 vcore, UCS doesn’t use today or 1/4 of it and even so the RPC problems continue to occur!
I’ve looked at practically all the logs, searched everywhere and didn’t find the problem, tried to restart the most diverse services, samba, winbind, kerberos, etc., it only comes back when I restart the UCS as a whole.
Then after some time (usually a few days, but it can be hours) every type of login in the domain stops working and when I open the GPMC.MSC it informs RPC error when loading the forest and does not open.
The customer is already stressed with this problem and I don’t know what to do anymore, so I’ll upgrade from 4.4 to 5.0 and if it doesn’t solve it, I’m already looking for a plan B to pull users, information and groups to an AD 2019.

Try to look here:



In my case it was a problem with the s4 connector

Greetings Ben