Expanding disk space for Nextcloud

Hello all,

I downloaded and set up the Univention Nextcloud VM on my ESXi 6.0U3 server. Overall it has been a very well-made appliance, and I’ve had almost zero issues getting set up. One thing I’ve run into: I haven’t been able to add space to my Nextcloud appliance.

I first added space to the default 50GB virtual disk, assuming that maybe there was an easy button option to expand disk space. I then tried following the Nextcloud storage expansion guide at https://www.pandatech.co/2018/05/increase-nextcloud-13-storage-extend-zfs/. Unfortunately I get stuck at being unable to locate “zpool”, although I did search for it and it appears in /sys/module/zswap/parameters, although I lack the permission to access it, even logged in as root.

So that’s as far as I’ve made it, and I figure either I’m heading down the wrong path entirely or I just need a quick tip. So, is there a guide of some sort specifically for Nextcloud UCS or could someone tell me where to get zpool so I can continue?

Thanks in advance

Hello,

we had a thread about this topic just a couple of days ago which interestingly pointed to the same guide first. But I still think that the HowTo mentioned there applies.

hth,
Dirk

In case anyone else finds this post while looking to go down a similar path, I deployed a brand new appliance and followed the steps here: (Resize LVM on UCS) and it worked flawlessly.

Thanks for the info! I started in this morning with my usual grab-sledgehammer-and-charge-ahead approach (actually left this window open typing notes and trying steps and just posted it before seeing your response).

I found about a half-dozen guides that fell apart somewhere in the process, and then I found one that just worked. I like that what you’ve linked to allows expansion of a disk rather than limiting me to adding hard disks. I wonder what performance and reliability pros & cons exist for each approach…

I also installed VMWare Open Tools, and my next task is to access the files via CIFS/SMB. But that’s another topic if I run into trouble. Thanks again!

Mastodon