Wordpress update

Hallo zusammen,

I wonder if it makes sense to update the Wordpress-App to 5.2.3.
Wordpress is installed since a year or so and regularly updated - what’s the point in updating the container? Where do I find a changelog or alike? Newer php-version? Etc.?

And what will happen if wordpress is already 5.2.4 in my old app?

Best,
Bernd

Hi,

you are right, the container can “update itself”, i.e., it can download newer versions of WordPress and put it into a volume (and use it, of course). This way, even a restart keeps the current WordPress version.

This also means that any new container uses this version of WordPress, too. So you should stay at 5.2.4 even if you “update” to 5.2.3.

So basically, you are exchanging the surrounding runtime. In this case, it will be an update from PHP 5.2 to 5.3 and overall from Debian 9 to Debian 10.

Kind regards,
Dirk

1 Like

I think you meant “from PHP 7.0 to 7.3” (as these are the default php versions in these Debian releases)

Oops. Indeed I meant PHP 7.2 to 7.3. The default PHP versions in Debian may be right, but the WordPress container is derived from the PHP container which installs its own PHP distribution, which happened to be 7.2 on a Debian 9.

But yes, thank you for paying attention. PHP 5…

Mastodon