Which login server? Slow logons

I seem to be getting some unexpected behavior. Logons are slow

Background:
Office A with two samba4 DCs. Ucs3-pdc and ucs3-bdc
Office B with ucs-bdc2

I think I have a clearer understanding of the slowness of the logons of windows clients to the domain. I have implemented Microsoft’s bginfo app within my logon script. This allows me to display various statistics onto the desktop wallpaper. I have added the %logonserver% variable. It seems that some of the workstations in office A are using USC-bdc2 as the logonserver. Also, some of the workstations in Office B are using Ucs3-bdc as the logonserver. In other words, some workstations are logging in using a server in the other office.
Is there a simple way to get systems to map to local office’s dc rather that going to slower link to a dc in another office?

Hello,

by default the client may choose an arbitrary logon server. To specify a particular logon server for a client subnet you would use a different “AD-Site” in Active Directory environments. You will find information on how to create such a site in the Microsoft documentation:
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr … 30718.aspx

Regards,
Janis Meybohm

I did setup the two sites, and all seemed to be going well. For a while at least. Now I do occasionally get workstations that ‘cross over’ and use a server in the other office still. How do I diagnose?

Hello,

there might be many possible causes for this behavior. You will find some informations on how to track this down on the following pages:
MS-Technet: PC logs into Domain Controller in wrong site
AD Clients Not Authenticating to its Local Site
Client going to different Domain Controller randomly for authentications (Cause and Solution)

Regards,
Janis Meybohm

Mastodon