Virtueller DHCP verteilt Adressen sehr langsam

Hallo zusammen,

ich bin gerade dabei, einen steinalten, nicht mehr upgradebaren UCS 4.1 auf mehreren VMs neu aufzusetzen. Host ist dabei der aktuelle PDC, dessen Dienste nach und nach auf die verschiedenen VMs gewandert sind.

Beim Switch der DHCP-Dienste auf den neuen PDC habe ich jetzt ein Problem, und zwar ist es so, dass die Clients oft mehrere Minuten auf ihre Lease warten müssen (auf manchen Geräten bricht die Suche komplett ab und muss dann händisch neu gestartet werden).

Wenn ein Client via PXE booten soll, funktioniert dies gefühlt öfter gewohnt schnell, aber auch hierbei kann es vorkommen, dass ein Client den Netzwerkboot abbricht, weil er keinen Server findet.

Auf dem hardwarebasierten PDC war das nie ein Problem, daher vermute ich, es liegt an irgendwelchen Netzwerkeinstellungen, ggf. erreicht der DHCP-Broadcast die VM nicht richtig (wilde Vermutung).

Die VMs wurden alle mittels UVMM erstellt und haben ein bridged Network zur Bridge des Hosts:

Der Host hat insgesamt zwei aktive Netzwerkkarten, von denen ein Port für die Host-Bridge verwendet wird:

Könnte evtl. die Netzwerkkonfiguration des Hosts etwas damit zu tun haben?

Danke für Hinweise & viele Grüße
Holle H.

Hey,

for the benefit of our international readers I’m going to reply in English. If that’s a problem for you, just let me know and I’ll switch back to German.

From your network configuration I can see that you have multiple interfaces within the same subnet (br0 and eth4). That’s generally something that you should not do as it leads to interesting and sometimes hard to debug issues.

If you’re aiming for redundancy, you’ll have to configure bonding (which also requires configuring the corresponding switch ports).

Therefore my advice is: first get rid of the second interface so that you only have one interface with addresses in the 192.168.192.0/24 subnet. Then see if that doesn’t fix your DHCP problem already.

m.

Hey Moritz,

thanks for your suggestion - didn’t realize (though assumed) this background. As I wanted to give your solution a try, I had been remembered by UMC that bridge devices don’t support multiple IP addresses. So what should be the solution to keep my .221 and .251 address? Can I keep the bridge with no ip and just leave eth4 at current stage? Or does it puzzle UCS (or any linux service) if I use a bridge without dediceated address?

Thanks
Holle H.

Hey,

you’re right insofar as you cannot assign multiple addresses to a bridge via UCS’s own mechanisms. Question is: at the moment your bridge contains only one network interface. In that case using a bridge is completely superfluous. In your case I’d simply remove the bridge again and configure one of eth4 or eth5 with the two addresses.

m.

The bridge was autoconfigured by UVMM and I need it for the VM’s bridged network. I have more VMs than network cards so no option to reconfigure them.

I solved this by just removing the ip from the bridge. Needed to restart the whole server including all VMs because restarting the UVMM service timed out.

So I cleaned up my networking but the problem though still persists: Occasional timeouts for dhclient in Windows & Linux…

Mastodon