Update via GUI impossible while it works via the command-line interface

As a user of UCS core 5.0.-3 errata699, I have encountered a strange bug around updates. Logged in as a root user I can see and trigger updates in the web interface (GUI), but they fail with the error message below. The python related error messages are not very informative.

At the same time I can initiate and carry out the updates via “univention-upgrade” using ssh as the very same root user via the command-line interface (cli) . After the run, I am on UCS core 5.0.-3 errata709, as it should be (current status Security and bugfix errata for Univention Corporate Server).

It might be good to know that outside on the same server, but not via UCS I have Zabbix installed in a version that is currently not up to date. The command “apt list -a --upgradable” delivers this output:
zabbix-agent/unbekannt 1:4.2.8-1+stretch amd64 [aktualisierbar von: 1:4.0.4+dfsg-1]
zabbix-agent/ucs503,now 1:4.0.4+dfsg-1 amd64 [Installiert,aktualisierbar auf: 1:4.2.8-1+stretch]

The problem might have a connection with this report, but I am not certain:

UCS error message:

Interner Server-Fehler in “updater/updates/check”.
Request: updater/updates/check

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/univention/management/console/base.py”, line 351, in __error_handling
six.reraise(etype, exc, etraceback)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/six.py”, line 693, in reraise
raise value
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/univention/management/console/base.py”, line 254, in execute
function.func(self, request, *args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/univention/management/console/modules/decorators.py”, line 327, in _response
result = _multi_response(self, request)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/univention/management/console/modules/decorators.py”, line 186, in _response
return function(self, request)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/univention/management/console/modules/decorators.py”, line 447, in _response
return list(function(self, iterator, *nones))
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/univention/management/console/modules/decorators.py”, line 295, in _fake_func
yield function(self, *args)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/univention/management/console/modules/updater/init.py”, line 312, in updates_check
apt.update()
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apt/cache.py”, line 591, in update
raise FetchFailedException()
apt.cache.FetchFailedException

you must not login with root user in gui you have to login with administrator user

rg
Christian

I think I have expressed myself a bit unclear and need to correct myself:

I log into the gui not as user (named) “root”, but as a user with administrative rights, e.g. “firstname_lastname”. In the gui the update does not work.

With exactly the same user name “firstname_lastname” I log in via the cli and after typing “sudo su” and entering the password the update works.

With the update from 5.0-4 errata716 → 5.0-4 errata721 the situation remains unchanged: I cannot update via gui only cli.

Since it seems to be a problem with apt, maybe try apt clean; apt update first?

Thank you. That did not solve the problem updating from 5.0-4 errata721 → 5.0-4 errata726 today.

… and the problem remains unchanged for 5.0-4 errata726 → 5.0-4 errata740

… and the problem remains unchanged from 5.0-4 errata740 → 5.0-4 errata750

… and the problem remains unchanged from 5.0-4 errata750 → 5.0-4 errata753

This time following the UCS Update there was an update for the nextcloud hub, where I entered my credentials and got this message:
“WARNING! Using --password via the CLI is insecure. Use --password-stdin.
WARNING! Your password will be stored unencrypted in /root/.docker/config.json.
Configure a credential helper to remove this warning. See
docker login | Docker Documentation

… and the problem remains unchanged from 5.0-4 errata753 → 5.0-4 errata771

… and the problem remains unchanged from 5.0-4 errata771 → 5.0-4 errata779

… and the problem remains unchanged from 5.0-4 errata779 → 5.0-4 errata783

… and the problem remains unchanged from 5.0-4 errata783 → 5.0-4 errata788

So you configured your UCS manually somehow different than the standard was and expect a weekly update will fix this in a magical way? Can you please stop spamming the forum with that odd messages on weekly basis. Thank you.

Two people already pointed out and gave you some hints

• for SSH shell use user ‘root’
  • for GUI access use user ‘Administrator’

If you use an other user for GUI access and want to administrative things, the easiest way is to add this user to the “Domain Admin” Group. From your description this was not clear, so pleas check this twice. I just tested it for a new user, added it to that Domain Admin group and installed updates in the GUi without any problem. See the documentation: 1. Introduction — Univention Corporate Server - Manual for users and administrators

For SSH there is also a documentation, if you want do disable root access: 8.4. Basic system services — Univention Corporate Server - Manual for users and administrators

Also please check that the additional repositories you added (i.e. nextcloud, zabbix) are reachable.

1 Like

The issue can be closed.
I have updated zabbix and kopia a week ago. Since then the update via the web interface (GUI) works the way it worked before.

Mastodon