We are very happy to announce the availability of Univention Corporate Server (UCS) 4.0. Considerable highlights are:
- The design and the usability of the UCS management system were completely revamped to allow the comfortable administration with tablets and smartphones via a responsive design.
- In addition to local virtualization servers, the UCS Virtual Machine Manager (UVMM) can now also manage cloud computing environments based on OpenStack or Amazon EC2 environments. This allows the out-of-the-box setup of hybrid cloud scenarios with UCS.
- The management of applications in the UCS domain has been simplified through a centralised App Center. Apps can be installed on any UCS system in the entire domain.
- UCS 4.0 is based on Debian GNU/Linux 7.7 (Wheezy). More than 16,000 source packages were updated and customized to the needs of UCS administrators. Selected core components, e.g. OpenLDAP (2.4.40), Samba (4.2rc2) or the Linux kernel (3.16) are more recent in UCS compared to Debian GNU/Linux.
- The installation of UCS has been simplified significantly. The base installation now uses the Debian installer and it is concluded with a web-based system configuration. The same web-based wizard is also used for the manual configuration of cloud images or other appliances.
- The performance of the OpenLDAP directory service has been significantly improved. New installations use the memory mapped database (mdb) by default as storage backend for OpenLDAP.
- UCS now also supports the installation on systems using UEFI SecureBoot.
Notes about release, download and documentation can be found at the following ressources:
Questions can be asked in the Univention Forum in the section UCS