UCS Upgrade fails. 4.2 to 4.3

Today we tried an update of the 10.0.3 owncloud appliance with 4.2 UCS to the latest UCS version 4.3.

The upgrade went successful, then it tried the update again for some reason and then it failed with this error message:

Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von ...
/ncurses-bin_5.9+20140913-1+deb8u2_amd64.deb ...
 Entpacken von ncurses-bin (5.9+20140913-1+deb8u2) über (5.9+20140913-1+b1) ...
 Trigger für man-db (2.7.0.2-5) werden verarbeitet ... 
ncurses-bin (5.9+20140913-1+deb8u2) wird eingerichtet ... 
dpkg: Fehler: dpkg-Status-Datenbank ist von einem anderen Prozess gesperrt 
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2) 
Error: Failed to execute "apt-get -o DPkg::Options::=--force-confold 
-o DPkg::Options::=
--force-overwrite -o DPkg::Options::
=--force-overwrite-dir --trivial-only=no --assume-yes 
--quiet=1 -u dist-upgrade"

Hello @dmitry,

some package update process was still running and has the file lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock for the package database open. Is the lock file still there?

If yes, you can find out if dpkg or apt are still running with pgrep -f 'dpkg|apt'.

Best regards,
Nico

The upgrade is quite buggy it seems. Ran into another problem on a 4.2 to 4.3 upgrade.

Neue Version der Konfigurationsdatei /etc/services wird installiert ...

nfs-kernel-server (1:1.3.4-2.1A~4.3.0.201711222152) wird eingerichtet ...

Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/nfs-server.service → /lib/systemd/system/nfs-server.service.

Warning: nfs-kernel-server.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload units.

Maybe I am missing something, but I dont see the problem.
Wasnt there a rule for problem reports?
As far as I remember it was common practise to describe expected results compared to actual results,

The problem here is that I get the message that my UCS is not supported and that I should Upgrade.

I perform an upgrade in the web UI. I get an error and the upgrade fails.

Steps to reproduce

1. perform an upgrade from USC 4.2 to 4.3 ( see title)

expected result

upgrade successful

actual result

upgrade fails

I dont see that looking at the lines you posted
You quoted the warning that appears when the package nfs-kernel-server is about to be upgraded and claimed that the result is a bug. Why do you think that?
And why should this warning result in a failed upgrade?

because the upgrade got stuck on this line.

Hey,

that’s a common problem I see with upgrades from 4.2 to 4.3. In that moment you can run pstree -p -l and look for the (pretty long) line containing the NFS server upgrade. It should end with a process called systemd-tty-ask… or something similar and systemctl… as its direct parent. You can simply kill the PID of that systemctl… parent, and the upgrade should continue.

Kind regards,
mosu

Obviously one has to have experienced the issue himself to link the problem description to the cause.
The issue is described in https://forge.univention.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=47313 and it appears that the upgrade is stuck not failed.

For the end user stuck = failed.

I tried this, but I did not find the systemd-tty-ask process.

On my second or third try after 2 hours the upgrade was successful.

Mastodon