UCS server not shown in Windows 10 network environment

Hi folks,

I’m totally new to UCS (but not to IT in general :wink: ).

I successfully setup UCS itself, DNS, DHCP, a few Windows devices and created some shares. All these things work fine.

I can add the shares manually in windows explorer. Sadly, the UCS server itself doesn’t show up in Windows Network section of the Explorer.

My current systems are: Windows 10 Pro v1903 and UCS 4.4 errata 374. DHCP NetBIOS Type is set to 8 (hybrid), NetBIOS routing and DNS settings are configured and ipconfig /all show the rigth values.

Any ideas what may go wrong?

Thanks in advance,

moose

O.k guys, no answer so far.

Well, I did some research myself since yesterday and found network browsing is (or better said was) a feature which requires SMBv1 enabled on Windows client(s).

But, since creators update and at least since v1809 SBMv1 is neither installed nor enabled on Windows 10 clients. And this has been done for good (security) reasons.

Because re-anabling SMBv1 results is less security and has to be redone after each windows feature update (1903, 1909, …) I decided to refrain from browsing my windows network neighbourhood.

If anyone has other experiences or any kind of workaround don’t hesitate to reply to me.

Thanks in advance and greetinx,

moose

Same thing here, but i can see all my Ubuntu/Debian Sambaservers. Strange right. So what is do to on UCS Server that browser over Windows Network is possible again?

externa1

16d

there is no more network discovery with smb2 or smb3
Windows Systems are using WS-Discovery (WSD) instead which is not part of samba this time, so windows systems are still able to discover other windows systems in the network Neighbourhood but no samba servers

freenas/truenas has an implementation that works also for samba, but i did not test if this is usable on UCS too as i don’t need the network browsing for shares (they are all mapped through GPO)

here is a good description for that:

iXsystems Community

How to kill off SMB1, NetBIOS, WINS and still have Windows’ Network…

We do live in interesting times. Well, those of us who love the “network neighbourhood” section of Windows File Explorer do, anyhow. Just think, the magic of all your file shares and networked computers, auto-magically shown in ‘My Computer’ /…

rg
Christian

You can login as root user to you file server and do:

wget https://github.com/christgau/wsdd/archive/master.zip
unzip master.zip 
mv wsdd-master/src/wsdd.py wsdd-master/src/wsdd
cp wsdd-master/etc/systemd/wsdd.service /etc/systemd/system

Edit wsdd.service and comment out

nano /etc/systemd/system/wsdd.service
;User=nobody
;Group=nobody

save and exit

cp wsdd-master/src/wsdd /usr/bin/wsdd
systemctl start wsdd
systemctl enable wsdd

Open firewall ports to wsdd:

ucr set security/packetfilter/tcp/5357/all=ACCEPT
ucr set security/packetfilter/udp/3702/all=ACCEPT
1 Like

Hey all, great post.
To prevent a startup error on UCS 5 pp. pls add ‘touch /etc/default/wsdd’ just behind ‘nano /etc/systemd/system/wsdd.service’ bacause this file could not be created w/o permissions.

Mastodon