UCS-Join with Ubuntu 20.04

Hi@all,

is there a way to do the ubuntu-join with Ubuntu 20.04?

with best
sven

Hi,

all I can say at the moment that the feature request
Bug 51163 - univention-domain-join support for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
has been added recently.

Best Regards,
Dirk

Hello @pixel,

we are currently testing the update to Ubuntu 20.04 internally.

What does work is upgrading from a joined Ubuntu 18.04 and then updating to 20.04, the domain join is kept. However, during the update, heimdal-clients is uninstalled, but can be re-installed by activating the universe component for focal and then reinstalling heimdal-clients. Without heimdal-clients LDAP users can’t log in (neither online nor offline).

As soon as the domain join client is available for Ubuntu 20.04 I’ll update this thread.

Cheers,
Timo

3 Likes

Can I ask what you mean by this?
I joined a fresh Ubuntu 20.04 machine using SSSD, and after enabling mkhomedir pam module I was able to login into the machine using a domain account no problem.

I update my Ubuntu 19.10 (was joinded). After the Upgrade the folloing heimdal packages was installed:

root@lt001:/home/s.gehr# dpkg -l | grep heimdal
ii  heimdal-clients                            7.7.0+dfsg-1ubuntu1                        amd64        Heimdal Kerberos - clients
ii  libasn1-8-heimdal:amd64                    7.7.0+dfsg-1ubuntu1                        amd64        Heimdal Kerberos - ASN.1 library
ii  libgssapi3-heimdal:amd64                   7.7.0+dfsg-1ubuntu1                        amd64        Heimdal Kerberos - GSSAPI support library
ii  libhcrypto4-heimdal:amd64                  7.7.0+dfsg-1ubuntu1                        amd64        Heimdal Kerberos - crypto library
ii  libhdb9-heimdal:amd64                      7.7.0+dfsg-1ubuntu1                        amd64        Heimdal Kerberos - kadmin server library
ii  libheimbase1-heimdal:amd64                 7.7.0+dfsg-1ubuntu1                        amd64        Heimdal Kerberos - Base library
ii  libheimntlm0-heimdal:amd64                 7.7.0+dfsg-1ubuntu1                        amd64        Heimdal Kerberos - NTLM support library
ii  libhx509-5-heimdal:amd64                   7.7.0+dfsg-1ubuntu1                        amd64        Heimdal Kerberos - X509 support library
ii  libkadm5clnt7-heimdal:amd64                7.7.0+dfsg-1ubuntu1                        amd64        Heimdal Kerberos - kadmin client library
ii  libkadm5srv8-heimdal:amd64                 7.7.0+dfsg-1ubuntu1                        amd64        Libraries for Heimdal Kerberos
ii  libkafs0-heimdal:amd64                     7.7.0+dfsg-1ubuntu1                        amd64        Heimdal Kerberos - KAFS support library
ii  libkrb5-26-heimdal:amd64                   7.7.0+dfsg-1ubuntu1                        amd64        Heimdal Kerberos - libraries
ii  libotp0-heimdal:amd64                      7.7.0+dfsg-1ubuntu1                        amd64        Heimdal Kerberos - OTP support library
ii  libroken18-heimdal:amd64                   7.7.0+dfsg-1ubuntu1                        amd64        Heimdal Kerberos - roken support library
ii  libsl0-heimdal:amd64                       7.7.0+dfsg-1ubuntu1                        amd64        Heimdal Kerberos - SL support library
ii  libwind0-heimdal:amd64                     7.7.0+dfsg-1ubuntu1                        amd64        Heimdal Kerberos - stringprep implementation

it all seems to work out

Any news on the subject?

Hi @roland.gsell,

not yet.

Cheers,
Timo

New Join Client is out and works: https://github.com/univention/univention-domain-join
Tested on 2 Systems. Lubuntu, and KDE Neon. Upgrade and fresh installation.

It is working, but on every system i get this errors in Systemd?

systemctl --failed
 UNIT                 LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION                               
â—Ź sssd-nss.socket      loaded failed failed SSSD NSS Service responder socket         
â—Ź sssd-pam-priv.socket loaded failed failed SSSD PAM Service responder private socket
â—Ź sssd-pam.socket      loaded failed failed SSSD PAM Service responder socket         
â—Ź sssd-sudo.socket     loaded failed failed SSSD Sudo Service responder socket

Could i disable this? Is there something wrong?

I’ve also tested the manual method with: https://docs.software-univention.de/domain-4.4.html
And it is the same Result.

This is caused by the option “services” in sssd section in the /etc/sssd/sssd.conf. This option conflicts with the sssd socket units.

@SirTux ok… and what does this mean now? I have disabel this, and everything look likes normal.

Then it’s fine. By the way, AFAIK it’s a cosmetic issue only.

1 Like

Nice to hear. :slight_smile:

Thanks

Linux Mint 20 also works fine with univention join client

rg
Christian

Has someone tried it with an upgraded Ubuntu too? Seems that the offline login is broken in that case …

Works here normaly. Can you post your sssd.conf and your ldap.conf?

Hi can help my how to domin join ubuntu 21 or 22 version client on UCS DC environment

Hello @Manmohan30,

please don’t hijack topics with problems for a complete different Ubuntu version (in this case Ubuntu 20.04).

You are very welcomed to open a new topic for your specific problem :slight_smile:

Regards
Timo Denissen

Hi

thanks for reply.

We are plan to move ubuntu 20 to ubuntu 21 or 22 clients in that case we are facing an unable to domain join
issue

so pls help me out

Hi @Manmohan30

i was at the same spot.
Sadly the only option is to stay with 20.04 i had to reinstall the 22.04 LTS clients with a vanilla 20.04.
Couldnt find a solution. However, iam not sure what happens when you upgrade an already joined machine.

You could give it a try and tell us.

Best regards

Hi Denissen

hello any update

Mastodon