UCS does not boot with additional RAID volume

Hi@all,

I’m stuck on a problem and just can’t get any further. I have cloned a UCS backup (4.4.6) to a larger RAID volume (with clonezilla).

Old RAID volume: 3x6TB RAID5
New RAID volume: 4x8TB RAID5

After the cloning was done, I removed the old RAID volume from the LSI 8361-8 controller. The new system boots without any problems.

Now I created another RAID volume on the controller (4x6TB RAID5) and created an LVM PV on it to expand an LV.

However, as soon as this volume is active, the server no longer boots. Black image with flashing cursor. If I insert the Supergrub CD and select the UCS system, the server starts without problems.

The partition layout looks like this:
grafik

In /etc/fstab, all partitions are included under their UUID. I have also checked these. They are correct. I then also reinstalled Grub in the started UCS.

update-initramfs -u -k all
update-grub
grub-install /dev/sdb

However, this has not brought any improvement. If I pull out the four 6TB disks, the system boots normally.

However, this has not brought any improvement. If I pull out the four 6TB disks, the system boots normally.

What is wrong here?

with best
sven

If the Server is installed on Bare Metal i would look at HW BIOS boot settings - maybe it tries to boot from the new RAID

rg
Christian

yes, is bare metal. I have checked that. In the computer BIOS, I can only specify the RAID controller as the boot device. This is also selected.

In the BIOS of the RAID controller, I cannot find any setting to select: Boot from Vol01 … Vol02 …

Shame on me! In the controller BIOS you can select the volume to boot from.

1 Like
Mastodon