UCS and Windows Updates/WaaS

Dear UCS Community,

A new client of mine has UCS as their domain controller and a bunch of Windows 10 Clients.

Interestingly enough, none of the machines are joined to the domain. The USC server is used as a file server and shares have been setup where each user accesses the share by typing in their domain username and password.

That being said, I have been charged with the responsibility of administering and reporting on Windows Updates/Windows as a Service updates for these W10 professional client machines.

That being said, I would appreciate if the community can help me answer these questions as I learn more and help the client.

1)Is there a reason why you think the previous IT Consultant (gone incognito now ) would not have joined these machines to the UCS domain. Is there a limit to the amount of clients we can join to the UCS domain?

2)Does USC have a build in module or feature to report on and even administer Windows Updates/Windows as a Service?

3)Is there a way for UCS to run PowerShell scripts to all client machines, or groups joined to that UCS domain?

I appreciate your wisdom.

Thank you! Be safe!

1)Is there a reason why you think the previous IT Consultant (gone incognito now ) would not have joined these machines to the UCS domain. Is there a limit to the amount of clients we can join to the UCS domain?

I joined all the clients in my company to an UCS domain. This turned out to be a lot of effort, not because of UCS, but because of all kinds of problems when migrating Windows user profiles. So if the UCS domain was added later, the reason could just be laziness.

2)Does USC have a build in module or feature to report on and even administer Windows Updates/Windows as a Service?

We are using opsi and the MS-Hotfixes subscription for this.

3)Is there a way for UCS to run PowerShell scripts to all client machines, or groups joined to that UCS domain?

You can use GPOs for this and manage them with the normal Windows tools.

1 Like

we use Manage Engine Desktop Central for Patch and Software deployment - also for remote client this ist free to use with up to 25 devices (servers, clients) and 25 mobiles

https://www.manageengine.com/de/desktop-central/

rg
Christian

Mastodon