Strange Behaviour of UCS Samba

Hi all,

I doubt someone will have an answer here but I’ll ask anyways:

I have an UCS5 here running as single server acting as AD-DC for a couple of Win10 clients.These clients use a program (let’s call it “A”) which is located on a fileshare on the UCS server.

This was always running fine. We went to holidays, no one used the computers and no one did some updates or change anything. Really, we did not change anything as we have not been there!

We came back from holidays and the program was not working any longer- it complained about a file not being accessible.
For troubleshooting we installed A on a local disk and it worked fine.
Installing in from scratch on the server resulted in the error message.
In the end I had to disable the Windows Defender for the network path of the program.

Obviously, this is not good. Looks like there has been some sort of updates which changed the behaviour. On UCS I did not see any patches or updates related to the issue the last couple of weeks. No one changed the program A either so it appears a Windows update caused the issue.

No finally my questions:

Anyone having an idea why Defener behaves differently when accessing files on a fileshare compared to local disk? Anyone having an idea what update might have caused the issue?

And finally, anyone having an idea how to enable Defender again without loosing functionality?

Thanks a lot!

/KNEBB

I don’t think I can help you really, but I have run into network related issues many times with some of my clients after Windows updates. We’ve basically come to the point where if anything related to a shared drive on a server doesn’t work first thing in the morning we disconnect the shared drives and reconnect them again. For some reason this affects certain machines and not others when it happens. We’ve never disabled or changed Defender, so your problem could be an entirely different issue, but I just thought I would let you know the mysterious problem for no apparent reason after a windows update seems to be fairly common these days.

1 Like
Mastodon