Smbd high CPU with no users

samba

#1

The currently installed release version is 4.1-4 errata428.

smbd is using 47-49% of my 6 CPU’s.

  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S  %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND                                                                                                             
  570 root      20   0  309m  17m  14m S  48.9  1.7   1:36.12 smbd                                                                                                                
    3 root      20   0     0    0    0 S   3.7  0.0   0:40.31 ksoftirqd/0                                                                                                         
  575 root      20   0  297m 5128 2764 S   3.7  0.5   0:07.62 cleanupd

I’m seeing a lot of this in the log .smbd file (to the point where my hard disk filled up, which caused other issues.


[2017/05/29 16:42:27.770768,  0] ../source3/smbd/smbd_cleanupd.c:172(smbd_cleanupd_process_exited)
  smbd_cleanupd_process_exited: got 0 cleanup events, expected at least 1
[2017/05/29 16:42:27.875962,  0] ../source3/smbd/smbd_cleanupd.c:172(smbd_cleanupd_process_exited)
  smbd_cleanupd_process_exited: got 0 cleanup events, expected at least 1
[2017/05/29 16:42:28.530339,  0] ../source3/smbd/smbd_cleanupd.c:172(smbd_cleanupd_process_exited)
  smbd_cleanupd_process_exited: got 0 cleanup events, expected at least 1
[2017/05/29 16:42:29.401321,  0] ../source3/smbd/smbd_cleanupd.c:172(smbd_cleanupd_process_exited)
  smbd_cleanupd_process_exited: got 0 cleanup events, expected at least 1
[2017/05/29 16:42:29.409522,  0] ../source3/smbd/smbd_cleanupd.c:172(smbd_cleanupd_process_exited)
  smbd_cleanupd_process_exited: got 0 cleanup events, expected at least 1
[2017/05/29 16:42:29.436522,  0] ../source3/smbd/smbd_cleanupd.c:172(smbd_cleanupd_process_exited)
  smbd_cleanupd_process_exited: got 0 cleanup events, expected at least 1
[2017/05/29 16:42:29.462228,  0] ../source3/smbd/smbd_cleanupd.c:172(smbd_cleanupd_process_exited)
  smbd_cleanupd_process_exited: got 0 cleanup events, expected at least 1
[2017/05/29 16:42:29.485918,  0] ../source3/smbd/smbd_cleanupd.c:172(smbd_cleanupd_process_exited)
  smbd_cleanupd_process_exited: got 0 cleanup events, expected at least 1
[2017/05/29 16:42:29.494362,  0] ../source3/smbd/smbd_cleanupd.c:172(smbd_cleanupd_process_exited)
  smbd_cleanupd_process_exited: got 0 cleanup events, expected at least 1
[2017/05/29 16:42:30.680637,  0] ../source3/smbd/smbd_cleanupd.c:172(smbd_cleanupd_process_exited)
  smbd_cleanupd_process_exited: got 0 cleanup events, expected at least 1
[2017/05/29 16:42:31.071910,  0] ../source3/smbd/smbd_cleanupd.c:172(smbd_cleanupd_process_exited)
  smbd_cleanupd_process_exited: got 0 cleanup events, expected at least 1
[2017/05/29 16:42:31.289361,  0] ../source3/smbd/smbd_cleanupd.c:172(smbd_cleanupd_process_exited)
  smbd_cleanupd_process_exited: got 0 cleanup events, expected at least 1

The machine is an AD member server, used to only serve file shares. The number of shares on it is low.

smbstatus shows no one using the system, even with high CPU.

# smbstatus 

Samba version 4.5.3-Debian
PID     Username     Group        Machine                                   Protocol Version  Encryption           Signing              
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Service      pid     Machine       Connected at                     Encryption   Signing     
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No locked files

Any ideas?

Gerald


#2

I have found a mention of this error in Bug 12396 - smbd_cleanupd_process_exited: got 0 cleanup events, expected at least 1 and filed Bug 44716 - smbd_cleanupd_process_exited: got 0 cleanup events, expected at least 1 for UCS.

Beside this I noticed the irritating behaviour of smbstatus which reports obviously another version than installed.
Just for the records:

root@master:~# smbstatus | head -2

Samba version 4.5.3-Debian
root@master:~# dpkg -S `which smbstatus`
samba: /usr/bin/smbstatus
root@master:~# apt-cache policy samba | head -2
samba:
  Installed: 2:4.5.1-1.851.201701050832


#3

That’s ok, as explained in the corresponding security advisory: http://errata.software-univention.de/ucs/4.1/360.html