Share - Sonos Error 900

hi,

today i tried to mount a share on my Sonos system. I got this Error:
2019-02-13%2011_40_53-Window

I tried DNS Name Central and IP Address. Both dont work.

This Error linked to: Sonos Error 900

And the Sonos Website linked to Microsoft Support for 2003 Servers: https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/help/285089/description-of-the-irpstacksize-parameter-in-windows-2000-in-windows-x?language=de%3Flanguage%3Dde

Iam not sure, the Error is caused by the Server. May anyone have a look for this Problem? Maybe we can fix it easy.

To edit the registry on the Client didnt fix the Problem.

Best Regards

Alex

Hi,

honestly, I doubt you will find a solution for this issue. At first the setting seems to be more related to local configuration instead of server (UCS) side (unsure here, indeed). Second, it the kb article refers to totally outdated Windows versions (2000, 2003, XP) which tells me there seems to be not such parameter (or at least no such an issue) on more recent Windows releases and therefore I additionally doubt there is such a parameter in Samba.

So I would do as advised: ask Sonos support for proper solution.

/CV

Hi Corin,

seems Sonos is relying on the outdated SMB 1 protocol. Just have a look at the Sonos forum e.g. https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-smb-implementation-error-900-when-adding-music-library-6765736

Cheers

1 Like

The corresponding UCR variables to check are samba/min/protocol which defines the minimum protocol version the server will speak with the client and samba/ntlm/auth which defines the oldest authentication method the server will allow. My guess is that samba/ntlm/auth is the culprit here as that was changed last year to only allow NTLMv2. My guess is that Sonos not only speaks the old SMB 1 protocol but only uses the NTLMv1 authentication.

samba/min/protocol being unset shouldn’t be a problem as the defaults will result in LANMAN1, which is the oldest possible anyway.

But samba/ntlm/auth being unset means that NTLMv2 will be required. Try setting that variable to ntlmv1-permitted (and restarting Samba afterwards).

1 Like

I already tried “samba/min/protocol” and Client protocol SMB2 and max SMB3. It didnt work.

The mount didnt work before Sonos outdated SMB1.

NTLM i didnt test. I will test it today.

Thanks @ all

Cheers.

Try setting that variable to ntlmv1-permitted (and restarting Samba afterwards).

It works!

Thanks you :slight_smile:

Hi,

great stuff- I did not have this in mind.

Just an additional note: SMBv1 is really, really, REALLY outdated and it is strongly recommended to leave it disabled for security purposes.
You might want to read this article (German only).

Just you are aware of the risks.

/CV

1 Like

hey,

i dont use SMB1, cause security purposes. SMB 2 is minimum, Q2 2019 i will completely change to SMB3.

Thanks for the article.

Cheers

Alex

Mastodon