Separate Active Directory and DNS Servers, how to set up as member

Our DNS server is separate from our Active Directory server. I am attempting to get it connected but I read one of the DNS entries needs to be the Active Directory server. But when I set one of the DNS entries as the Active Directory DC, it still can not find it. And when I have tried after setup, joining fails. Please help.

Hi,

Your problem description is somehow unclear. So I will just try to help.

First, if you write “Active Directory Server” you mean a UCS server, right?

Second, your setup has to be unique in terms of DNS. If your current DNS servers are master for zone “mydomain.com” and you do not want to change this you will have to use a different zone for your UCS domain- ideally a subdomain of the above. So you could use “ucs.mydomain.com” and your UCS master server would be named master.ucs.mydomain.com. Just as example.
If set up in this way, configure your UCS servers to use your existing DNS servers as forwarders (ucr set dns/forwarder1=ip.of.dns.server). Your clients should then use exclusively your UCS as DNS.

If you do not want the later, you will have to add the UCS zone to your existing DNS.

/CV

I am not able to join the UCS server to Active directory. At all. No matter what I use for DNS, or what I put in to the domain name on active directory connector. In the logs it shows as resolving, but still fails at dig @ x.x.x.x

Can anyone help me? I do not understand why the DC NEEDS to be dns as well when our network has separate DNS

Mastodon