Second server as fileserver

Hi,

I’m testing a UCS box as an AD controller. I have it setup and working perfectly. I now want to setup a secondary ‘slave’ AD server (or member server) to be a fileserver. I can’t seem to get this going. The primary domain controller sees the slave controller and shows it as a slave, but I can’t share any directories from the slave.

Either I missed some docs, or I’m doing something wrong. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Gerald

Hey,

first of all the server role that’s usually used for dumb file servers is a “member server”, not a “domaincontroller slave”. The “domaincontroller slave” is designed to be able to function as a login server for Windows and LDAP authentication server for all kinds of services. Its usual place is as the only local DC in a branch or site office with the DC master located in the main office. You can use a DC slave for file sharing, of course, but it’s usually overkill (and I’m a fan of having as little complexity as possible).

That being said: Enter the Univention Management Console on the DC master (not on the file server) as a user with administrative privileges (e.g. “administrator”). Navigate to “domain” → “shares” and click on “New”.

In the following dialog you’re asked for where to store the LDAP object containing the share’s configuration. You can leave it at its default & click “next”.

Now you’re in the dialog allowing you to edit the share; the “general” tab should be shown. In this tab there’s a setting called “host” which should list all servers on which you can create a share — and this particular drop down box should include your new file server. If so select it and fill in the rest of the required data. Shortly after saving this configuration the share should become available on the file server.

Kind regards,
mosu

Hi,

Thanks Mosu, that’s what I’ve been doing, trying with both a member server and a slave server.

When I installed UCS, I added a 1 TB drive and mounted it on /share. On the domain server, I add a share called gbr at /share/gbr (with the directory already created by hand in /share). I look on the member server, and the directories owner is chnaged to gbr, the permissions are changed to drwx------ 2 gbr root 4096 Sep 8 15:11 gbr. I go to a Windows 7 desktop, and it sees the member server in the network shares list. When I click on the member server or type it’s name in the directory box (\fs1), Windows comes up with a cannot access error.

Gerald

I just went to package management on the member server, and samba isn’t installed. samba-common is. If it’s a member server, shouldn’t samba have been installed?

So I went to Apps, and Windows Member Server wasn’t installed. I would have expected it to be installed when I selected AD Member Server during install.

Gerald

Hey,

yes, of course you need to have Samba installed to actually be able to serve files :slight_smile: To be more precise: install the package “univention-samba”. This pulls in the actual Samba server packages and it installs the management component required for the centralized share management.

A member server may serve many different purposes; only one of them is sharing files & printers. Therefore it’s not that surprising that Samba isn’t installed by default. UCS contains way too much software for an “install everything you could ever need by default” approach.

Kind regards,
mosu

Hi,

The app is actually called Windows compatible Member Server. I would have thought during install when I said it was going to be a Member Server, that it installed the Member Server package. Makes sense to me just by the naming convention. Maybe the app should be called Fileserver for Member Server or, more in line with Printer Server, just FileServer.

Gerald

Hey,

oh, I hadn’t been aware of its actual name. Yeah, with “Windows” mixed in I would have expected Samba to be installed, too.

Kind regards,
mosu

Mastodon