Samba shares and permissions(No write access)

Hello All,

I’m assuming user error here but I can’t find where i went wrong. I’m able to create a new SMB share, apply permissions, and access the share from a workstation just fine. My problem is if user 1 creates a new folder on the share it can not be deleted by user 2. Additionally, no users will not have write access to create anything additional in the new folder just created. Both users will have read access. I can fix it as an administrator at the command line but this seems like an extra step that shouldn’t be necessary.

Also, users are not able to change the permissions of the sub-folders or files they create. Lets say a user creates a folder and wants to lock it down to a specific group, it can’t be done.

This issue is the case even if I create a completely wide open share. I enable “Create files/directories with the owner of the parent directory” and “Create files/directories with permissions of the parent directory” on an existing share and I thought that resolved it, however I just created a new share with those setting enabled and the problem persists on the new share. Can someone point me in the right direction? I’m assuming there’s a check box somewhere I need look at but i’m a little lost.

regards

I’m thinking there’s a larger issue here. I couldn’t get this working at all so I created a new server to test. At first I could create shares, sub folders, etc; everything you would expect. All worked as expected. Overnight I lost access to all shares on the test server for all users even administrators. I created test shares on other member servers and even the master dc but I couldn’t access those shares either. Out of desperation I rebooted the dc master just in case and I lost the ability to SSH or even log in at the console for all member servers by any user. I was able to log into the web management console as any user and nextcloud.

After some googling I took a chance and used the unlock setting for the users from the management console and I was able to log into all services as expected. After about 20 mins I attempted to change the home share for a user and I lost samba access again for that user; Access denied to all shares. I checked the unlock box again and I regained access to all the shares. After some testing I can confirm that setting the home share is locking out the users. Although I’m suspecting the user isn’t actually locked and the check box is resetting other things that’s allowing access; the users do not appear to be locked out.

I also noticed that the home share field is blank after saving. Attempting to remove a test share fails because it’s still assigned to a test user as their home share. None of the users are showing a home share configured on the Account page. I deleted the test user but the error persists when attempting to remove the test share because of a different user not previously mentioned by the error.

looking at the samba logs I’m seeing the error below but after a forum search it looks like i’m the only one seeing this error :slight_smile: . Any ideas where I should look next? I’m fairly certain the issue is with samba but i’m a little lost. Is there a way to reset samba globally?

../../source3/smbd/uid.c:448(change_to_user_internal)
  change_to_user_internal: chdir_current_service() failed!

I recommend to add the UCS version and patch level, because there are many changes concerning Samba last time.

Mastodon