RPC server is unavailable traying add Windows 2012 to UNIVENTION AD-DC as alternative dc

Hello, thanks in advance to read.

I have two clean and simple installations of UNIVENTION in two different machines and I have managed to make them work as AD-DC and the other as an alternative DC

I need to add also two other domain controllers as slaves / alternates with Windows 2012 operating system.

Making the union, the windows server fails me during the wizard, and return this failure:

Verification of prerequisites for Active Directory preparation failed. Unable to perform Exchange schema conflict check for domain binary.local.
Exception: The RPC server is unavailable.
Adprep could not retrieve data from the server server.binary.local through Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI).
[User Action]
Check the log file ADPrep.log in the C: \ Windows \ debug \ adprep \ logs \ 20180626123443-test directory for possible cause of failure.

Marked with a red cross and does not let me continue.

Reading the log file, I find this:

[2018/06/26: 12: 34: 50.022]
Adprep failed while performing Exchange schema check.

[Status / Consequence]

The Active Directory Domain Services schema is not upgraded.

[User Action]

Check the log file ADPrep.log in the C: \ Windows \ debug \ adprep \ logs \ 20180626123443-test directory for possible cause of failure.
[2018/06/26: 12: 34: 50.022]
Adprep encountered Win32 error.
Error code: 0x6ba Error message: The RPC server is unavailable.

I have reviewed the status of services and this appears

jiji

Has anyone had this same fault?

Thanks.

Running Windows-based AD DCs together with Samba-based AD DCs in the same domain is not supported.

I wanted to be sure.

Thanks for fast response.

You may only join a windows server as domain-member (like windows PC) to samba domain but not with ad role

rg
Christian

Hey,

Exactly. I should have mentioned that together with my first reply. Sorry for that.

Thanks for the clarification

Now I am configuring a main server under Windows server and I will add a UCS as an alternative.

Hey,

just to make it clear in case I wasn’t in my first reply: mixing Samba AD DCs and Windows AD DCs in the same domain/forst is simply not supported. You can join Windows servers as member servers into an AD domain served solely by Samba AD DCs, or you can join Samba servers as member servers into an AD domain served solely by Windows AD DCs.

Kind regards,
mosu

Yes, I just understood the limitations. I have created a user in Windows and UCS as alternative AD finds the users and replicates them, but not the other way around, when you create users in UCS they do not apply in Windows server.

I imagine that in addition, it is also incompatible for lack of RPC protocol

Hi,

you are using (at least) a confusing wording.

There is no such thing as an alternative. For most here “alternative” would mean to be able to decide which one to use. But this is not true. A member server (if this is the one you mean with “alternative”) can not act as AD-DomainController!

And this means, yes, you can not edit or add users through UCS- this has still to be done through Windows. Again, UCS is not a DC and thus can not change anything in the domain.

/KNEBB

Mastodon