RocketChat app stopped working

Within the last couple of days, the rocketchat app on my server has stopped working. It has been working just fine for months. And then something changed recently. When trying to access the https://server/rocketchat, the reported error is:

Proxy Error

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
The proxy server could not handle the request

Reason: Error reading from remote server

Apache/2.4.25 (Univention) Server at tars-mail.tarstrucking.com Port 443

The host server is: UCS 4.4-4 errata 579
Rocketchat app is: 3.0.2

The server also has kopano, kopano webapp, nextcloud and guacamole apps all running just fine.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the rocketchat app. I still get the same error.

Thoughts?

Further note, the error appears to be “proxy error 502”.

Would this be an nginx error? Docker config?

Where do I start looking?

Hi @jsatterfield,

since the first error you see is coming from Apache it sounds a bit like the container running Rocketchat stopped running on your system. To debug I would do the following:

1. go into the directory where the compose file of Rocketchat is stored. This should be something like /var/lib/univention-appcenter/apps/rocketchat/compose
  2. run docker-compose -p rocketchat ps to see if the containers are running
  3. if the rocketchat container is shown as running, but you still get the proxy error then you could have a look at the logs of the container. this can be done with something like docker-compose -p rocketchat logs rocketchat
  4. you can restart the whole app by running univention-app stop rocketchat && univention-app start rocketchat

Thank you for the reply. I tried the steps you provided. It appears that the mongo database may be the culprit.

Any suggestions on getting the mongo system up and running?

hm… you cloud have a look at the output of docker-compose -p rocketchat logs mongo to see if mongodb prints out an error message that could help you further.

that just looks like a general “could not connect” to me. Unfortunately I am not familiar enough with either Rocketchat or Mongodb to provide further help.

fbartels, you have been a good, constructive “help”, and, I thank you.

Now, for more research… :slight_smile:

Hello, is it possible to share logs for the mongo container, to see why it could be restarting, thanks

Hi. I am having this exact issue after expanding the volume of root. Other apps work as expected. Is there any fix, or do I need to go back to last snapshot?

Found the solution.
It was mogodb.lock file that need to be deleted.

su root
cd /var/lib/univention-appcenter/apps/rocketchat/data/db
rm mongod.lock
1 Like
Mastodon