Problem with removing DNS record

I am undergoin a project to move my workplaces Windows AD server to a UCS AD server. After about a week of trying the move with no luck I ended up on settling for rebuilding the system from scratch and manually moving people over.

During that rebuild process I made a DNS zone that can resolve the old domain that way I can move computers to the new domain easier. During this process I created the old zone and input an address with the @ hostname. This did not behave as expected.

Instead of adding a host to the current zone pointing to the root domain, it added a host to the same level as the zones with the @ symbol. When I click on it, an error comes up, if i try to delete it, an error comes up.

Whern i try to remove:

Internal server error during "udm/remove (dns/dns)".
Request: udm/remove (dns/dns)

File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/notifier/threads.py", line 80, in _run
    result = self._function()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/notifier/__init__.py", line 105, in __call__
    return self._function(*tmp, **self._kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/univention/management/console/modules/udm/__init__.py", line 469, in _thread
    module.remove(ldap_dn, options.get('cleanup', False), options.get('recursive', False))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/univention/management/console/modules/udm/udm_ldap.py", line 598, in remove
    obj = self.module.object(None, ldap_connection, ldap_position, dn=ldap_dn, superordinate=superordinate)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/univention/admin/handlers/dns/host_record.py", line 156, in __init__
    univention.admin.handlers.simpleLdap.__init__(self, co, lo, position, dn, superordinate, attributes=attributes)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/univention/admin/handlers/__init__.py", line 225, in __init__
    raise univention.admin.uexceptions.wrongObjectType('%s is not recognized as %s.' % (self.dn, self.module))
univention.admin.uexceptions.wrongObjectType: relativeDomainName=@,zoneName=olddomain.tld,cn=dns,dc=newdomain,dc=tld is not recognized as dns/host_record.h

This wasn’t a problem until I tried adding a backup server to the domain, this fails one script with the issue of not being able to properly replicate the DNS.

The outpout of /var/log/univention/join.log on the backup DC:

univention-join-hooks: looking for hook type "join/pre-joinscripts" on hostname.newdomain.tld
Found hooks:

RUNNING 35univention-server-overview.inst
2021-06-30 10:06:05.987659451-05:00 (in joinscript_init)
Object exists: cn=UMC,cn=univention,dc=newdomain,dc=tld
Object exists: cn=UMC,cn=policies,dc=newdomain,dc=tld
Object exists: cn=operations,cn=UMC,cn=univention,dc=newdomain,dc=tld
Object exists: cn=default-umc-all,cn=UMC,cn=policies,dc=newdomain,dc=tld
No modification: cn=Domain Admins,cn=groups,dc=newdomain,dc=tld
Object exists: cn=default-umc-users,cn=UMC,cn=policies,dc=newdomain,dc=tld
No modification: cn=Domain Users,cn=groups,dc=newdomain,dc=tld
Object exists: cn=server-overview-all,cn=operations,cn=UMC,cn=univention,dc=newdomain,dc=tld
WARNING: cannot append cn=server-overview-all,cn=operations,cn=UMC,cn=univention,dc=newdomain,dc=tld to allow, value exis$No modification: cn=default-umc-all,cn=UMC,cn=policies,dc=newdomain,dc=tld
E: object not found: cn=domain,cn=portal,cn=univention,dc=newdomain,dc=tld

__JOINERR__:FAILED: /usr/lib/univention-install/35univention-server-overview.inst
EXITCODE=3
c1a3aa38-a861-4593-9165-585c3bae7f2f
univention-join-hooks: looking for hook type "join/post-joinscripts" on hostname.newdomain.tld
Found hooks:

Wed Jun 30 10:06:09 CDT 2021
univention-run-join-scripts finished

Any ideas on how to fix this?

For those who stumble on this, I have managed to remove the rogue DNS entries through ldbdel and ldapdelete commands using their respective DNs in both.

I have not yet resolved the issue binding a Backup server yet.

Just created this issue using the ‘@’ as well. I only needed a single command to clear the issue:

ldapdelete -x -D "cn=admin,$(ucr get ldap/base)" -y /etc/ldap.secret \ "relativeDomainName=@,zoneName=domain.org,cn=dns,dc=domain,dc=org"

Discovered the cli via UCS 5 Upgrade Fail

@ryan.mcgee Thanks for your post and solution!!! It was going to be a long night otherwise.

Mastodon