Problem: GPO “Display information about previous logons during user logon” does not apply

We are testing to deploy a UCS domain with Active Directory and, to comply with a security normative, we need to enable the GPO “Display information about previous logons during user logon”.

I have been testing but I can’t get it to work correctly. The result I get is that, on the computers that I apply the GPO, during login it shows me an error and I can’t log in. The error message is “Security policies on this computer are set to show info about the last interactive sign-in, but Windows couldn’t retrieve that info. Contact your network administrator for help.”.

I have found on the internet that this policy only works with a domain functional level equal or higher than 2008, so this is not the problem, since samba-ad has a domain functional level of 2008 R2.

I also found that the policy must be applied to the domain controller for it to work correctly, but I have also tried it and I can’t get it to work, I keep getting the same error.

Could someone tell me why this GPO is failing and how to fix it? And, if not possible, how can I get something similar to what this policy does in some other way, such as through a script at login?

Best regards.

Mastodon