PLUCS für UCS 4.2+

@fbartels
Is that really comparable? We had obviously lots of PLUCS users who used the integration free of charge. The product page states that the Mattermost integration can be used without additional costs too. I guess that this offering is based on the “Team Edition” of Mattermost. https://about.mattermost.com/pricing/ says that the Team Edition has no ability to logon with AD/LDAP credentials. If this is the case I can see no benefit of an integration.

As there are lots of opinions, as well as in this thread as in direct discussions, that plain XMPP solutions based on eJabberd are deprecated, I am still struggling with myself if it makes sense to put any additional effort in continuing the work.
During summer I tried to contact some companies I knew who were using PLUCS in a commercial context. I just wanted to know what functionality they are using and what they want to see in the future. There was only one response.

A short time after my statement that we want to continue with PLUCS, Kopano announced the partnership with Mattermost. Now we have an integration for UCS available so there is at least something which could replace PLUCS and do most likely more.
Would it make sense to you (and of course others asking for PLUCS on UCS 4.2) to look if Mattermost would fit your needs? I dont want to ride a dead horse.

Best Regards,
Dirk

For me Mattermost isn’t an alternative because it is too fat. I need only an simple chat server that I can host on my server and can use with several clients. So I would prefer to use PLUCS in future. But I’m only a private user., so I won’t make PLUCS profitable.

1 Like

The app indeed includes the Mattermost Enterprise edition and only this edition has native support for LDAP (or even SAML) for user login/management. If no license file is uploaded then the app falls back to the functionality of the free team edition, which means that you would miss out in the user integration part (and some other features such as additional branding and auditing capabilities). But still it would mean that you can easily install and maintain Mattermost through the Univention Appcenter.

Yes but it would also mean that it can block upgrades to newer UCS versions.

Isn’t that the case with all apps that are not maintained on a regular base? (since the app provider needs to “release” for newer ucs versions). The good news in regards to the Mattermost app is since its Docker based a Univention upgrade should only have a very low impact on the app itself. But I think we are deviating too much from the original topic.

Am I right, that Mattermost doesn’t support chat-clients via XMPP (Jabber).
This is our main reason for using PLUCS and staying at UCS 4.1, beside that upgrading to 4.2 isn’t possible at the moment due to the Kopano-Apps via the Kopano-Repo.

Christian.

Yes, but you could also install it in an Ubuntu VM that isn’t interacting with the domain and can’t break something. Or in case it’s only a web application, you could copy it only in the web folder. I don’t know what the integration of mattermost does, but maybe it adds some LDAP attributes that aren’t used with the “team license”.

To make clear what I mean you can also think on Owncloud (8.2). If you installed it through the AppCenter, it blocked the upgrade to 4.2 some months. The upgrade to newer versions of Owncloud also wasn’t possible.

Now assume that you’ve couldn’t used the integration because of license issues. Wouldn’t be better in this case to install Owncloud by copying it to the web folder? Because in this case you could

1. upgrade UCS everytime.

2. upgrade Owncloud everytime.

3. switch to Nextcloud everytime.

Owncloud != PLUCS != Mattermost

Isn’t it the whole point of the app concept that you don’t have to worry about manually updating all of the software you use?

Yes, Mattermost is not an xmpp server and you cannot (directly) connect xmpp client to it.

This is now really off topic, but would imho would be “easy” to solve: disable to repository, downgrade to the version provided by the appcenter, upgrade UCS, enable the repo again.

Or even easier: remove Kopano, upgrade, install again.

That’s obvious but doesn’t matter. It was an example.

Not for me because this has disadvantages. And in the simple case this means that you have to click only once updating instead of twice, so the gain can be very small. So for me the integration is the important point.

@ahrnke I like PLUC and I hope it will be available for UCS 4.2+. But I can’t pay for it, so I try to help.

I’ve converted the my configuration to YAML and then I’ve tried to convert it to an template. Maybe I’ve forgotten something or the format can be incorrect because I don’t have an testing environment. But I hope it will help you.

ejabberd_yml.txt (5,5 KB)

EDIT: I’ve found some errors: ejabberd.yml.txt (6,5 KB)

@ahrnke Btw. what’s the current status of PLUCS? I’ve reread the thread and now I’m uncertain whether there was already an template made by you or not.

@ahrnke Because UCS 4.1 is out of normal maintenance I want ask you again: Will be there a update of PLUCS or not?

Mastodon