More than 1 sender address per user and Outlook

Hi!

I have the scenario that some users should send and receive emails with different email addresse (e.g. user@domain1; user@domain2 and so on).

I followed the instruction in this tutorial and could manage everything to work within the webapp by adding groups, having the user being member of that group and adding this group in the sender address in the web app.

Is there a way to have this work by using Outlook and Kopano OLE?

Warm regards!

Andy

Hi @raceface2nd,

yes that should work pretty much the same way with KOE as well (but for the send-as only when you actually have KOE installed). Just add the address you want to send as in the from in Outlook.

Hi @fbartels,

got it running. The user profile I used at first to test the send as features seems to have an issue . . . When I change any settings in the webapp these settings are not stored. The information “storing” pops up forever and the information successful stored never appears. It does not matter if I add send as addresses or signatures or something else.

How can I activate the debug for the webapp? Did not find anything in the /etc/kopano/webapp/config.php.

Warm regards!

Andy

Hi @raceface2nd,

ah i though you had questions about Outlook and not WebApp…

I am not familiar enough with WebApp to be of much help in debugging issues with storing settings (but its more likely that you find something in your browser console instead of some server logging). I would recommend to either directly reach out to the Kopano support (of you have a subscription) or post in the Kopano forum about it.

Hi @fbartels,

Originally this post was/ is outlook related.

As first I tried to send emails via outlook from a different address with the same user profile but the recipient saw only the primary email address.

Then I read somewhere that I have to set the send as address for the user first. So I logged into webapp to set it. At this step I recognized that the what I am setting there as send as address is not stored.

Yesterday I recognized that this user can not access to it’s home directory using SMB.

At least the last to points where working in the past for this user.

All points are working for other users. So I guess there is an issue with the user profile somehow. The most weird thing in my eyes is that most services are still working without any issues for that user but the different services smb and kopan webapp are causing issues. I now also recognized that this user has to enter it’s username and password randomly on the smartphone which is connected via active sync using zpush.

Might be best to open a new thread for this.

Andy