Member server cannot join domain - No server role defined

Hi,

I am trying to join a member server to my UCS domain, but I am getting an error. Here is the output of my join.log:

setup/secret -checkPrerequisites
running version check
OK: UCS version on primarydc.domain.local is higher or equal (4.40) to the local version (4.40).
Tue Apr  9 15:24:54 EDT 2019: finish /usr/sbin/univention-join
Tue Apr  9 15:27:46 EDT 2019: starting /usr/share/univention-join/univention-join -dcaccount Administrator -dcpwd /tmp/tmp.M8rQJMm8MR

* Join failed!                                                           *
* Contact your system administrator                                      *
* Message:  Please visit https://help.univention.com/t/8842 for common problems during the join and how to fix them -- No server role defined

How do I resolve this error?

Edit: Univention version is 4.4

Hi,

let me guess: during installation your selected “Do not join a UCS domain” as you wanted to join later, right?

Well, this is not the way it is supposed to work. During installation you have to select a role and you can skip the join later during install.

I guess you need to reinstall.

/KNEBB

I selected “Join existing UCS Domain”, not “do not join domain”.

I was able to get the role issue fixed by doing ucs set server/role=memberserver. However, now when I run univention-join, I get another error: Exception occurred: {'info': 'error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed (self signed certificate in certificate chain)', 'desc': 'Connect error'}

I have a similar problem on Univention 5. Server was a DL380 G6 and it needed some firmware to get the network to work. The opportunity to set server roles disappeared after a couple of failure/fix/reboot cycles.
It would have been nice to find the answer here.
If anyone knows of a way to correctly continue the setup maybe they could post it here?

OK, for me I could get the setup to continue by:

• Connecting to the web interface (UMC) on another LAN computer.
  • Login as root - (Perpetual spinning icon here)
  • Remove everything after https://ip.Of.Server/univention/setup/ from the URL and then reload/enter
  • The setup continued with choosing to join existing domain (fails)
  • Choose to continue anyway then follow the steps - The update and install continues successfully.

This is on Univention 5. The bad part of the URL was something like user=root?, but I don’t remember for sure.

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread but I hope it helps someone.

Mastodon