Kopano: Outlook crashes when sending mails

Hello,

we’ve got a problem with Kopano and I don’t know what do check next.

We use Kopano through UCS with Outlook and when we send mails to multiple recipients Outlook freezes and sends the mail after 30-40 minutes or crashes.

When I restart the appliance it works for a few minutes/hours.

Do you have an idea what it could be?
It’s a VM with 16 cores and 32 GB RAM hosted on a VMware ESXi.

Kind regards
Lars Friedrich

Hi @larsmwb,

that sure sounds a bit strange. At what point when sending does Outlook hang? Is it even talking to the server at that point? The latter you should see in your z-push logging.

If Outlook is an important feature, then our new product could be worth considering. Kopano.cloud has a newly developed native support for the Windows version of Outlook. While it is not available in the Univention App Center, it can easily be installed as an appliance which is provided by one of our partners.

Hi @fbartels,

it hangs when pressing the “Send” button.
Eventually the mail sends after 30-40 minutes when I don’t klick in the window. When I do click in the window, Outlook just crashes after a while.

The mail is no longer in the drafts / outbox or sent folder.

Unfortunately we already have a new product we’re using after Kopano and the fix would be until I start migrating to it.

But is this really touching the server or is the crash something completely local to Outlook? When sending the message is moved from the drafts to the outbox and only moved outside of the outbox (server side) once the message has been successfully sent.

I would say so.

When I restart the server it works fine for a few minutes.
If I send a mail via Office365 it also works without problems.

@fbartels do you have any Idea, what it could be at this point?
Unfortunately I can’t figure out what/why it is.

No, unfortunately I don’t have a direct idea, but would still be interested to see what happens in the logs when a mail is sent. even though you say it works directly following a restart, I am not quite sure if this is really an issue in the backend, but would rather look for a cause in Outlook.

Ultimately ActiveSync is not a good protocol when it comes to serious desktop client usage, that is why our new product has now native support for the same protocols Outlook uses to talk to Exchange.

Hi,

I got the same problem 2 month ago with multiple Kopano server (Same version).

When the user sent an email with multiple recipient, Outlook Crash. (Outlook 2016,2019 and 2021.)
but if the user send the same mail to one recipient it’s fine.

We tried to update Outlook, but the problem is the same.
I don’t see any case on Microsoft about this problem.

Have you also tried downgrading to a version of Outlook that has been released before the problem first appeared?

If a problem appears on multiple servers, which did not get any Kopano updates for quite some time. Then this sounds even more like an Outlook issue to me.

My general recommendation if Outlook connectivity is important, is to take a look at our new product. If a Kopano subscription is available then you are of course also welcome to open a support ticket so that someone can inspect your logs.

Mastodon