Join a Debian server to UCS domain

Hi All,
I just install a new Debian 8 server and want to join it into UCS domain to be acted as a file server. How can I do it? I do not want to use UCS as file server because there are a lot of stuff which I do not need for a file server, for example: GUI, Firefox, etc…

Hi,

you do not need to install the GUI and Firefox on UCS.

Using another OS for specific services is possible in general but you will loose some built-in functionality. A “file server” can be anything: SMB/CIFS, NFS, FTP, AFP…
Even the integration into UCS can be achieved in at least different ways: based on OpenLDAP or based on Samba 4.
One the conditions are known we may be able to provide further help for specific problems.

Best Regards,
Dirk Ahrnke

[quote=“ahrnke”]Hi,

you do not need to install the GUI and Firefox on UCS.

Using another OS for specific services is possible in general but you will loose some built-in functionality. A “file server” can be anything: SMB/CIFS, NFS, FTP, AFP…
Even the integration into UCS can be achieved in at least different ways: based on OpenLDAP or based on Samba 4.
One the conditions are known we may be able to provide further help for specific problems.

Best Regards,
Dirk Ahrnke[/quote]
Thank you for your answer. I will try to use UCS without GUI as your suggestion and let you know the performance later.

@ahrnke: It works perfectly with an UCS member server as file server :slight_smile: Do you have any suggestion for VSC (Volume Shadow Copy) service like “Previous Version” in Windows File Server? Because in fact, the end-users often delete or edit the documents in file server by mistake. Thanks

Hi nasexp,
taka a look at the App Center and search for “Bareos”.
Here ist some documentation to your request:

Installing Bareos on Univention Corporate Server
Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)

Best Regards,
Oliver Kanzler

It should be mentioned that Btrfs has, beside other functions, the ability to create snapshots.
But have no experience if and how this works with UCS.

Hi nasexp,
please ignore my last post. The VSS-Support in Bareos is not available for Linux-versions.

[quote=“ollikaa”]Hi nasexp,
please ignore my last post. The VSS-Support in Bareos is not available for Linux-versions.[/quote]
Thank you, bro. My solution now is 2 file server (based on UCS), the backup one will synchronize data from the master. If the master have the problem, I just need to change the host setting of “Share” on the UCS Master DC to the backup file server.

If anyone got a better like cluster for File Service on UCS environment, please share with us. Thanks

@nasexp You have two file servers with separate storage? how are you do the sync?

Thanks

[quote=“codedmind”]@nasexp You have two file servers with separate storage? how are you do the sync?

Thanks[/quote]
I use “rsync”