Is there an apt-cacher for UCS and UCC

Hi
I like the UCS with the possibility of deploying UCC. Really cool I think. Is there an app for Apt-cacher and that it could be configured into UCC automagically?

Carlitos

Hey,

I usually just use Squid, up its cache directory size considerably, and configure all UCS/UCC systems to use that Squid as the HTTP/HTTPS proxy.

Kind regards,
mosu

Hi Mosu,
Thanks for the recommendation. I think I understand how it makes sense instead of the apt-cacher. Do you run Squid on UCS or do you set it up in another server? how big are you setting the cache directory? 20 GB?

Thanks again,

Carlitos

Hey,

I usually run it on a UCS system. 20 GB is plenty, probably way too much unless you’re running multiple releases of UCS in parallel (e.g. a couple of machines still on 4.2, most on 4.3 etc.).

Kind regards,
mosu

I also use squid caching a rpm repository, but I had to tune some squid options. In addition I had to disable the fastestmirror plugin on clients, so look if you run similar software on your debian based hosts. Maybe this Blog Post from 2015 helps you to fine-tune your config. (I never tried to proxy deb packages, but the post is looking fine to me)

cheers Lutz

Hey,

good point for RPM-based distros. Debian machines (especially UCS ones) usually only have specific repositories configured, not a list of potential mirrors; therefore things such as fastestmirror don’t apply to Debian-based distros in general. A default Squid configuration with bigger cache_dir and appropriate ACLs will do just fine.

Kind regards,
mosu

Thanks all for your ideas! Much appreciated!

Mastodon