Howto: UCS, Groupware (Kopano) and freemail accounts

Hello,

first I would like to thank Univention and Kopano for their turnkey groupware solution.

These are my (short) notes from memory configuring UCS 4.4 and Kopano (any other groupware solution should work, too) for users who use “freemail” e-mail addresses for a small home setup. You don’t need an own domain and the server doesn’t have to be exposed to the internet.

I would like to know whether this configuration interferes with any UCS guidelines/rules or anything is missing for a future proof setup (e.g. major upgrades). This is my first try using UCS to replace my existing Debian/Zarafa setup.

These instructions describe a setup for three freemail accounts using two different providers. Do not enter the freemail domains in UCS as a mail domain.

First install the following apps using the app center:

• Fetchmail
  • Kopano Core (or another groupware)
  • Kopano Webapp
  • Kopano Z-Push

Configure receiving mails:

• Add the three user accounts using the UMC, enter the freemail address as the primary e-mail account
  • Configure fetchmail by opening the extended configuration from all the three user accounts
  • Send an e-mail from external clients to these accounts and wait up to 20 minutes until the e-mails appear in Kopano

Sending mails:

Add the following lines to /etc/postfix/main.cf.local (not main.cf):

sender_dependent_relayhost_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relaymap
smtp_sender_dependent_authentication = yes

smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwords
smtp_sasl_security_options = noanonymous

transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport

Activate changes:
ucr commit /etc/postfix/main.cf

Define freemailer smtp relays, create the file /etc/postfix/relaymap

@freemail1.de smtp.freemail1.de
@freemail2.de smtp.freemail2.de

Create hashfile:
postmap /etc/postfix/relaymap

Now configure the passwords for sending e-mails for every account, create the file /etc/postfix/sasl_passwords

user1@freemail1.de user1@freemail1.de:User1MailPassword
user2@freemail1.de user2@freemail1.de:User2MailPassword
user3@freemail2.de user3@freemail2.de:User3MailPassword

Create hashfile and restart postfix:

postmap /etc/postfix/sasl_passwords
service postfix restart

At this point Kopano webmail can be used to send e-mails from one account to another, but every mail is sent to and fetched from the freemail provider. To ensure that local accounts communicate only using the UCS add the following:

Add to /etc/univention/templates/files/etc/postfix/transport.d/10_base

user1@freemail1.de              lmtp:127.0.0.1:2003
user2@freemail1.de              lmtp:127.0.0.1:2003
user3@freemail2.de              lmtp:127.0.0.1:2003

Activate changes with:

service postfix restart

Again, please tell me if something is missing.

Thanks.

Frank

2 Likes

Ah, you just said fetchmail in your other post, but this covers a lot more actually. A similar how to was also contributed to the Kopano4ucs wiki: https://wiki.z-hub.io/display/K4U/Setting+up+Univention+to+allow+multiple+e-mail+addresses+per+user

On a first glance your how to looks nice. I have two remarks:

• AFAIK you cannot set the email of your user to include a domain you haven’t added to your system. At least that was the case <=4.3. If that hasn’t changed I would wonder how you added this to the user.
  • you can also directly manage entries in the transport file via ucr without the need to modify the template.

Hi,

thanks for your remarks.

• I tried several addresses with different domains and was able to add them as a primary address. I hope this is a feature. :slight_smile:

Frank

Hi,

I found a small mistake:

After this statement
“Add to /etc/univention/templates/files/etc/postfix/transport.d/10_base”

Replace

with

ucr commit /etc/postfix/transport

Sorry

Frank

@frank123. dear All,

I tried your configuration on a fresh UCS install, except the last step of using UCS-only for sending mails. I prefer receiving/ sending all mails through my ISP.

The problem is that all mails are being sent through localhost, never reaching my mailboxes on my my ISP. No errors, perfectly sending over 127.0.0.1:2003. as if it was configured that way, which I did not!

Mail.log: Apr 6 03:46:09 hostname postfix/lmtp[22551]: 9AA82243A7D: to=x@y.z, relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:2003, delay=0.32, delays=0.05/0/0.06/0.21, dsn=2.1.5, status=sent (250 2.1.5 x@y.z Ok)

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Peter

Try to increase the loglevel in Postfix /etc/postfix/master.cf:
before:

smtp inet n - - - - smtpd

after:

smtp inet n - - - - smtpd -v

followed by a

service postfix reload

(settings may be overwritten at an “ucr commit”)
btw:
Did you set authentication information in /etc/pstfix/smtp_auth ?

Hi,

This scenario describes the use of single mail adresses from different providers for each user account. All mails are delivered by the groupware to postfix running on ‘localhost’. Postfix then authenticates to your ISP and sends the mails. Please post the logfile showing the part after sending a mail to localhost.

Mastodon