Extremely slow roaming profiles

Hello,
We have UCS 4.1 on a AWS instance. Our office is connected via a VPN.
Roaming profiles technically do work but every time I try to log in, it takes 10 minutes or more. I understand it’s over a VPN but this is ridiculous. Nothing else we do takes nearly this amount of time.
Is there anything that can be done to speed it up?
Thank you

The logonspeed depends on the size of your profile, on the AWS and the speed of your connection, i guess.
Can you give a little more detail on that? Is the time for every user the same? If you create a completely new user, does it have the same logon times?

Hello and thanks for the reply.
These are completely new profiles that have never been logged into before.
The time is the same for the most part… I saw something online about best practices that said to exclude My Documents from the roaming profiles. Is this easy to do within UCS?

I have an update. It looks like port 1024 was blocked but I have since opened it. Logging in is much faster now.
However I still would like to exclude My Documents and Desktop from roaming profiles due to prevent slow logins in the future. Is there a simple straight-forward guide to do this?
Thank you.

Depends on your definition of simple and straight-forward :wink:
What you need to do is configure a Group Policy that forces the Windows Clients to redirect certain folders to some other network share (for example the home share). That way the data is still stored on the server (included in the backup and available on all clients), but it doesn’t slow down loggin in or off.
I didn’t do this myself recently, but I think this is a good starting point: technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib … 71969.aspx

It looks like this also works with Univention:
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/814592

Thanks everyone.

Mastodon