Domain Join Ubuntu Client - Messy Login Screen

Hi Everyone.

New to Univention; have been testing on home lab equipment. Loving it.

I have decided to try and use the domain system properly.

I have created a Linux VM. I chose Ubuntu to keep it simple (Lubuntu to be precise).

I have joined the domain successfully with the simple tool.

I am seeing the VM login screen a list of accounts greater than the User list in UCS.

I see a login item for each VM, server AND user that is present on UCS.

Obviously I cannot login to this machine WITH a machine.

Is there a way to restrict what user options are pushed to clients? IE, display only UCS User group or something similar?

If I was to create 15 VMs, I would see 15 items PLUS all the users which is a pain to scroll through.

Many thanks,

Nick!

try to set this in /etc/sssd/sssd.conf

enumerate = false

and then restart sssd service

From the sssd.conf man page:

enumerate (bool)
Determines if a domain can be enumerated, that is, whether the domain can list all the users and group it contains.

Hi Ante,

Thank you for that. Indeed my user login list is now tidied up. I only see LocalAdmin.

Then perhaps a side issue - I would like to at least be able to manual entry my domain login.

Is this done by the same file?

Nick

mmhh … not sure what you mean by that … in any case you should still be able to login entering username/pass for any user which has valid credentials for the domain joined by that host.

Hi Ante,

Perhaps a screenshot will help. From this you can see LocalAdmin, which is the first user setup when deploying the machine itself.

I believe this device is correctly domain joined, and we have simply hidden the data.

However, there is no option to manually enter username/password, I can only choose LocalAdmin.

Any idea how to get this device to show a user/pass box or similar, so I can at least login?

perhaps it is a login manager configuration issue? I am afraid I can’t help as I am not running Lubuntu so I am not even sure what login manager it is using, though I have seen indications it is using its own variant which is different from the default Ubuntu one: (https://askubuntu.com/questions/260922/how-do-i-change-the-login-manager-in-lubuntu).

Mastodon