Dns server and replication nodes

Hi,

i setup a master, a backup and 5 replication nodes… when in make a nslookup to my domain dns returns ip from master, backup or one of this 5 replication nodes… thats quiet cool for loadbalancing etc… BUT i have one location where a lookup to my domains should return every time the master ip (because this location has no connection to other locations)

is there any way to do it?

Thx!

Erik

i found this blog:

it sounds exaklty what i want… but it doesnt work…

Hi,

I am pretty sure you have a misunderstanding here.

First. nslookupis used to analyze DNS information. The article you referred to is about synchronization of directory informations. There is no real link between these two topics.

So I am trying to understand what you really want:
You have a site which have no connection to the other sites, but has connection to the master site, correct?
When a DNS request comes in for “internal.domain” you get different replies based on DNS round-robin, right?

So if a client on the separated network requests information from the domain it might get as an answer the IP of one of the other sites and tries to connect. This will fail as there is no connection, correct?

So what you want is the client always getting the IP of the master (or the local backup/replication) to send its queries to.

If this is waht you want I guess you have to redesign your network. By design ActiveDirectory synchronizes information between all servers so they all have the same information. You can not overwrite this information on a single host. There might be a solution to work with sites or OUs, but I have never really tried it.

Sorry for not having a better answer for you.

/KNEBB

1 Like

sorry to answer so late… how ever you have absoluty right knebb… nslookup replies round robin… so i thougt domain cant work… BUT DOMAIN WORKS, because ot the network structur knows what is the “best” next domain controller for this subnet… for forgot this thread :slight_smile:

Still no real clue what the issue here is…

It might be an issue where you have a number of remote sites in different geographic locations.
and you have VPN links to share data.

The users have to be authenticated to resources at multiple sites,…
now if you do a DNS Query ideally you want the DNS server closest to you to service the request…
Why?

1. Because some external cloud services return DIFFERENT DNS resolution to your local DNS service depending on their IP address of the request. (MS 365)
    so your client may get a sub optimal external cloud ip for services.

2. local government interference… supported by Apple & Google., if you pick up the wrong DNS host, you may get services blocked and not resolve , even from a location where you can use those services.

let’s say you were in HK, with an office just over the border , you can visually see…
If you got your DNS resolution for Google, from non HK side , whilst in HK, you would actually get served with an invalid address for google.

Mastodon