Creating Multiple Email Domains

Hello Everyone,

Is there any option to configure the multiple mail domains in single univention Email server

In the UMC (web administration interface), go to Domain→Email and add a “Mail domain”.
http://docs.software-univention.de/manual-4.1.html#mail::management::domains

Greetings
Daniel Tröder

Hello Mr. Troder

I have configured multiple mail servers mail server. I want to give access for multiple mailbox access for all users. That means I wants to create single LDAP user with two or more Email Id

Your users should have separate user accounts with separate email accounts. Inside those, they can have shared folders.

Please read the section on Mail services: http://docs.software-univention.de/manual-4.1.html#mail::general

You’ll find there a section on “shared IMAP folders”. That’s probably what you want.

Hi Daniel
Will you please specify is it possible or not to have 2 email domains on the same server in a such way that a user would have one mailbox and two email addresses, one of them being main address associated with the mailbox. Next, all the messages would be dropped into the main mailbox. The user may send outside using any of the two addresses. The server would send outside using one of two external IP addresses, associated with the very email domain.
I guess that a schema to use the server in a such manner would be using of two separate postfix instances. Am i right?

There is no limit to the number of email domains that can be hosted on a single UCS / Postfix installation.

The one with the mailbox is the primary mail address. The other the alternative mail address.
The user would receive emails for both addresses in the same mailbox.

Yes and no. The user must authenticate to the UCS mail server using the mailbox address. But the messages sent, can have any address in the From field.

It is not necessary to associate different IP addresses with different email domains.
In the DNS an email domain is associated with a server using an MX record. The MX record points to an A or CNAME record. That one points to an IP address.

A single Postfix instance should be able to manage a few million domains.

Greetings
Daniel Tröder

Thanks a lot Daniel. Your answers are comprehensive.
Still there is an aspect uncovered: the case when I want to completely separate my email domains by IP, because I think this is correct in my conditions. I mean, that I really want my email domains to send from separate IPs.
I assume that for this to work I have to either to run isolated instances of postfix or to use even different servers. Could it be set simpler?

I have no idea how to do this, except with two separate email servers.
Email routing is done depending of the target domain, not the sender domain.
Why do you want to send emails for different domains from different IPs?

Thanks Daniel,
Our company is a partner with a big worldwide-known company, but it does not have local representatives. Besides all, they do not allow us to use their name for emails sent from our company. But we are working for years with a lot of customers using addresses derived from main company’s name. It wasn’t a problem earlier. Until a moment when they went on rebranding and restructuring main company.
At the moment they requested us to reconfigure our email server, I had to decide what to do to have our messages being recognizable by our customers and communicate with main company without faults. More of this, our email server is working (still) on Windows SBS2003 that is a real head-ache to configure and impossible to change something deeper without losses.
So, in addition to our SBS2003 I have installed an instance of MailCleaner that is working with address from other domain belonging to us, that is not going against main company’s politics.
Why I’m looking to send from different IPs? Because messages still contain outgoing server’s name and address. And I’d be comfortably to know the message from a domain to be completely clean of traces from other domain.
So, what would be better: to set second email domain on a MailCleaner host or on a second UCS?

I see… tough situation.
If you have to use MailCleaner anyway, then I guess routing mails through it (using it as relay) makes sense.

Mastodon