Cleaning up after AD takeover?

I have completed the migration from a windows server and the UCS machine is currently the only server on my network. I would like to clean up trace of the whole process

1. Is it OK to remove the Active Directory Connection and Active Directory takeover modules from the UCS machine ?

2. The UCS machine has now a virtual ethernet port with the ip address of the original windows server and has created a DNS entry for it under the name of the old server. Is it OK to delete these ? (How do i remove the virtual port ?)

Well, I did try removing Active Directory Connection and Active Directory takeover modules from the UCS machine. Removing active Directory Connection was fine … but removing Active Directory takeover also removed active Directory-compatible Domain Controller and Samba. All users were locked out! Fortunately, reinstall Active Directory-compatible Domain Controller saved the day and reestablish the AD operations!.
After this, an annoying warning about a missing SVC record in the DNS of the domain master disappeared (there is not AD master since the domain is migrated)

Hey,

In general both should be removed after the takeover, yes. However, as you found out, the “Active Directory-compatible Domain Controller” app must be installed, if possible before removing the other two.

If you’re 100% sure that nothing is using the old server’s name, you can remove that DNS entry.

If you’re 100% sure that nothing is using the old server’s IP address, you can remove that one, too. Log in to the UMC, go to “System” → “Network settings”. Click on the main interface (the additional IP address should be listed in the overview, too). Here you can delete the address.

If you’re unsure, I’d start by changing DNS entry for the old server to point to the new server’s IP address. Remove the old server’s IP address afterwards. Usually things are more likely to be configured to use a host name than an IP address.

m.

Thanks. I did the clean up and you suggested and all is fine. I found a few other entries that needed clean up such a the WINS name entry impersonating the old server.

Sorry for reviving this thread. I, too, want to uninstall the AD Takeover. UCS then says, it will do the following:

Folgende Pakete werden deinstalliert:

• univention-management-console-module-adtakeover
  • univention-s4-connector
  • libunivention-ldb-modules
  • univention-samba4
  • ldb-tools
  • univention-samba-local-config
  • winbind
  • samba
  • samba-dsdb-modules
  • libgpgme11
  • python-univention-connector-s4
  • python-setproctitle
  • samba-vfs-modules
  • sqlite3
  • tdb-tools
  • univention-nagios-s4-connector
  • univention-nagios-samba
  • univention-samba4-sysvol-sync

The AD-compatble DC app is installed, though.

Mastodon