When a Windows 2008 or Windows 7 system joins an NT-compatible (Samba 3) domain, the primary DNS suffix on the system is always set to the name of the Samba domain and cannot be subsequently changed.
Error changing DNS_Namens for the primary domain of this computer to "<New Domain>". Name "<OldDomain>" is maintained.
The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
The primary DNS suffix can be changed using a local policy. The following steps are required for this:
- Start the ?Editor for local group policies? via ?Start? -> ?gpedit.msc? (alternatively via the prompt or Windows PowerShell).
- Navigation in the following tree: ?Computer configuration? -> ?Administrative templates? -> ?Network? -> ?DNS client?.
- Open the ?Primary DNS suffix? policy.
- Enable the policy and enter the DNS suffix in the provided field.
- Save the policy with ?OK? and restart the system.