Change IP Address Of A Univention Corporate Server

Greetings,

I hope you are well. What is the proper process to change the IP address of a UCS slave domain controller, if possible?

Regards,
David.

Hey,

easy: open the slave server’s Univention Management Console in your web browser & log in. Navigate to “System” → “Network settings”. Change the IP address there.

That should suffice — the corresponding LDAP entries should be changed automatically.

Of course you’ll have to re-configure anything external that uses that server’s old IP address (instead of its host name). The host name may also be a bit problematic due to DNS caching.

Kind regards
mosu

1 Like

Thank you Mosu, that is where I went wrong last time. Thinking it was Linux-based I changed its IP via /etc/network/interface and that seemed to mess things up in my test environment. Thanks for your help!

Yeah, that file (and a lot of other config files) is actually generated from template files every time certain variables (in this case: the network configuration variables stored in the Univention Config Registry) are changed. Therefore manual changes get lost.

If you want to know more about templates in Univention and how to integrate manual changes safely (and finding out if manual changes are needed in the first place or if there’s actually a supported way of achieving what you want), you can read a blog post I’ve written about it a couple of weeks ago.

Hi, is it possible to change ip and than all “connected” config by cli?

I’ve to prepare 7 slave server in headquarter, then move its to secondary site, then change ip in correct site subnets.

Web interface with initilal ip doesn’t work in each site.

ucr search --brief interfaces
ucr search --brief gateway

Then:

ucr set interface/eth0/address='newip'
ucr set gateway='newgateway'

Is that all?

Regards

https://www.falconitservices.com/univention-corporate-server-migrating-to-a-different-subnet/

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. This works well.

The link is down, but the archive version is still available: Univention Corporate Server Migrating to a Different Subnet – Managed IT Services

Mastodon