Can't join windows client to domain


I’m unable to join a windows 10 pro client to the domain.
I receive a message that says "An active directory Domain controller for the domain 247atl.intranet could not be contacted. I’m running 4.2-1 errata96 and have the active directory compatible domain controller app installed.

Here’s the details from the error message:

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network’s administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for domain “247atl.intranet”:

The error was: “DNS name does not exist.”
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.247atl.intranet

Common causes of this error include the following:

  • The DNS SRV records required to locate a AD DC for the domain are not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server automatically when a AD DC is added to a domain. They are updated by the AD DC at set intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

  • One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

. (the root zone)

Please verify that your Windows 10 client’s DNS server is set to the address of your UCS DC Master.

Next try the following command on your DC Master and post its output, please:

host -t srv _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.$(ucr get domainname)

Are you able to join other clients to the domain?

It is set as the DNS and the NTP server for my windows 10 machine.

here’s the output of that command:
**Last login: Thu Jul 20 14:46:25 2017 from
root@ucs-247:~# host -t srv _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.$(ucr get domainname)
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.247atl.intranet has SRV record 0 100 389 ucs-247.247atl.intranet.
I haven’t tried any other clients.

Please try a different client, too, preferably one that’s been freshly installed.

Also try the following on your affected Windows 10 client:

  1. Run cmd.exe
  2. Execute the following command and post its output: nslookup -type=srv _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.247atl.intranet ip.of.your.DCMaster (replace ip.of.your.DCMaster with the actual IP address of your UCS DC Master server, of course)
  3. Dito: ipconfig

Please also post the output of the command ip address show on your DC Master.


The output:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>nslookup -type=srv _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.247atl.intranet
Server: ucs-247.247atl.intranet

_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.247atl.intranet SRV service location:
priority = 0
weight = 100
port = 389
svr hostname = ucs-247.247atl.intranet
247atl.intranet nameserver = ucs-247.247atl.intranet
ucs-247.247atl.intranet internet address =
ucs-247.247atl.intranet AAAA IPv6 address = fd08:7dd7:6a34:0:862b:2bff:fe4b:e66c

ifconfig returns this

root@ucs-247:~# ifconfig
docker0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 02:42:de:7b:13:b6
inet addr: Bcast: Mask:
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 84:2b:2b:4b:e6:6c
inet addr: Bcast: Mask:
inet6 addr: fd08:7dd7:6a34:0:862b:2bff:fe4b:e66c/64 Scope:Global
inet6 addr: fe80::862b:2bff:fe4b:e66c/64 Scope:Link
RX packets:521874 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:905506 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:79547447 (75.8 MiB) TX bytes:1317588837 (1.2 GiB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr: Mask:
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
RX packets:710951 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:710951 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1
RX bytes:139487500 (133.0 MiB) TX bytes:139487500 (133.0 MiB)

i’ve fixed my issue. it was due to samba not being provisioned and a few other things. All in all, I found it necessary to rerun the installer for univention, assuring that I included itself as the primary name server. I also found that it’s necessary to set the ipv6 ip for the name server as well, as this was causing a huge part of my non-function. Thanks.