Cannot get DHCP to work

Please become root first before executing the two commands. And those are two commands, not just one.

Meaning:

1. Run sudo -i
  2. Run univention-ldapsearch …
  3. Run dpkg -l…

Sorry, here it is again

root@optiplexmint:~# univention-ldapsearch -b cn=dhcp,$(ucr get ldap/base) '(!(objectClass=univentionDhcpHost))'
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <cn=dhcp,dc=fcortes,dc=local> with scope subtree
# filter: (!(objectClass=univentionDhcpHost))
# requesting: ALL
#

# dhcp, fcortes.local
dn: cn=dhcp,dc=fcortes,dc=local
objectClass: organizationalRole
objectClass: univentionObject
univentionObjectType: container/cn
description: Containing all DHCP Objects as per default Settings
cn: dhcp

# fcortes.local, dhcp, fcortes.local
dn: cn=fcortes.local,cn=dhcp,dc=fcortes,dc=local
objectClass: top
objectClass: univentionDhcpService
univentionObjectType: dhcp/service
cn: fcortes.local

# 10.0.0.0, fcortes.local, dhcp, fcortes.local
dn: cn=10.0.0.0,cn=fcortes.local,cn=dhcp,dc=fcortes,dc=local
cn: 10.0.0.0
objectClass: univentionDhcpSubnet
univentionObjectType: dhcp/subnet
dhcpRange: 10.0.0.10 10.0.0.254
dhcpNetMask: 24
univentionDhcpBroadcastAddress: 10.0.0.255

# optiplexmint, fcortes.local, dhcp, fcortes.local
dn: cn=optiplexmint,cn=fcortes.local,cn=dhcp,dc=fcortes,dc=local
objectClass: dhcpServer
dhcpServiceDN: cn=fcortes.local,cn=dhcp,dc=fcortes,dc=local
univentionObjectType: dhcp/server
cn: optiplexmint

# search result
search: 3
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 5
# numEntries: 4
root@optiplexmint:~# dpkg -l | grep dhcp
ii  isc-dhcp-client                                     4.3.5-3+deb9u1A~4.3.0.201803131309               amd64        DHCP client for automatically obtaining an IP address
ii  isc-dhcp-common                                     4.3.5-3+deb9u1A~4.3.0.201803131309               amd64        common manpages relevant to all of the isc-dhcp packages
ii  isc-dhcp-server                                     4.3.5-3+deb9u1A~4.3.0.201803131309               amd64        ISC DHCP server for automatic IP address assignment
ii  isc-dhcp-server-ldap                                4.3.5-3+deb9u1A~4.3.0.201803131309               amd64        DHCP server that uses LDAP as its backend
ii  univention-dhcp                                     12.0.0-5A~4.3.0.201805241419                     all          UCS - DHCP server
root@optiplexmint:~# 

Hey,

from your earlier post regarding the server configuration:

Compare that with where you’ve created your DHCP objects:

Note the ou=fcortesschool vs cn=fcortes.local.

In an UCS@school context you don’t use the top-level DHCP section. Instead, use the DHCP section in the school-specific LDAP sub-tree. In the UMC, use the “LDAP directory” module found in the “Domain” section. There you have access to the whole LDAP tree. You can create all types of LDAP entries there as well, including all the DHCP-specific ones.

Kind regards,
mosu

Hi Moritz

thank you for the answer but it doesn’t help me much.

I installed ucs@school because I really want to try this this software at a school where we don’t have a DC, plus I also want to be able to manage users centrally (teachers and students computer accounts as well as wifi using freeradius, which is something I understand I might be able to do using the ucs@school package as well as the freeradius package.

I want also to get this only dc to be the dns and dhcp server (currently those functions are provided by a pfsense box).

when I install ucs@school I wasn’t thinking it would screw things up as dhcp was not workng before I installed it, I haven’t done much there but I see that it set up a dhcp service which I deleted while trying to resolve the dhcp issue with your guys assistance. I was then left with the dhcp service I configured and the one that I guess was setup from the beginning.

I tried to check out the ldap directory and the ldap tree within the domain section in umc, and yes, I can create all kind of entries but I wouldn’t know what entries I need to create and the ones that were setup there don’t seem to be working to get the dhcp service up

I’m going to reinstall and start from the scratch. I won’t install ucs@school as that didn’t seem to work out while trying to figure the software out for now but I will setup the server again as a DC, dhcp, dns and radius server, hopefully I will have better look next time around and get it working right off the bat.

thank you again for your patience. I know a few things and I can follow some instructions but clearly I’m still a newbie.

alright, I reinstalled with dhcp and radius to start with and dhcp is running now and a client on the network got dhcp config, finally.

it’s a shame I couldn’t figure out what was wrong with my previous config or how to remove ucs@school if that was part of the wrong config, but well. at least that one is now working… next step is getting wpa2 entreprise to work with radius. wish me luck.

thanks again for your help. :slight_smile:

Mastodon