Cannot access any logs. How do I read the logs in this. Will not allow root login to KDE

Cannot access any logs. How do I read the logs in this. Will not allow root login to KDE. What magical program do I need now in order to read the error logs in order to fix the bugs, so I can continue to read more error logs? So I need to use putty? What do I enter? Root doesnt seem to have much power for even doing upgrades. Why is this so difficult

Is this only for use in Germany? Not even google translate here?
thanks

Hello,

if you dig in further you will notice that there is not much difference regarding your problem between UCS and other Linux-distributions.
I will try to pick up some of your questions.

You can do it the same way as with other systems: get proper rights to the files and use the (Linux-) tools you prefer. In addition to the usual place (/var/log) and stuff like journalctl there are logs in /var/log/univention for things that are specific for this platform.

I think thats by design and maybe the case on other Linux-flavours too. What you can do is log on as Administrator and use su gain gain superuser rights. The password you have specified during the installation of the system is used for the “Administrator”-account as well as for root. I think that should be mentioned during the installation. Using sudo will be another way to do things with higher privileges.

quoting Wikipedia:

A software bug is an error, flaw, failure or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways.

How can one be sure that the software has an error without any proof? Is there something you saw compared to the documentation?

You can do if you are using Windows as a client.

Unlike other Linux-systems you can (AFAIK) log in as root by default. Use the password as mentioned above.

Clearly: Thats not the case. At least usually. But as I dont know what you tried to come to this conclusion I can not say more than that I am doing most tasks on the commandline as root. Still.

No. In fact UCS has a very strong userbase here in the german speaking area because it started here. I pointed to the very extensive documentation which is available in German, English and even French.
We started with the forum nearly 15 years ago at a time where mostly a german audience participated. A while ago the whole content of the old forum was transferred for a very good reason.
Meanwhile the preferred language has changed and a lot of english content has been added. But given that there are lots of german people around I can understand personally that they ask in their native language in case that they dont feel comfortable using another language.

Interestingly Google translate appears to fail trying to read the pages here. I only get a blank page. I will ping the Univention staff to see what they can do.

Best Regards,
Dirk Ahrnke

ok. Been trying some of those through the cli tool in kde desktop - once I added the su it worked - I was trying to use root through putty and it wouldnt do the univention-upgrade in root, but then wont let me login to KDE with root…it did the upgrade under the admin login from putty and also the KDE cli tool as well - seems to be responding now - had to do quite a bit more reading in how debian works, getting momentum now at least. I am working up to trying to change the ssl port Univention is listening to to something like 8443 as I have another server on the domain using 443 … have to layer a FQDN through a sonic wall … fun stuff - thanks for your help

Mastodon