Broken MariaDB after raidcontroller crash

I have been trying to recover my data for kopano and other apps, but walked against some issues.

First things first i was trying to get mariadb to work again, but even though this is my first step i can’t get any further.

Status: "InnoDB: Fatal: Ending processing because of a corrupt database page."

this is the error i’m getting

mysqlcheck: Got error: 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2 "No such file or directory") when trying to connect

mysqlcheck states the above, and then i went ahead and tried to configure with dpkg

~# dpkg --configure mariadb-server-10.1
Setting up mariadb-server-10.1 (10.1.41-0+deb9u1) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/mariadb-server-10.1.postinst: line 18: 23500 Done                    echo "$password_column_fix_query"
     23501 Aborted                 | $MYSQL_BOOTSTRAP 2>&1
     23502                       | $ERR_LOGGER
dpkg: error processing package mariadb-server-10.1 (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 134
Errors were encountered while processing:
 mariadb-server-10.1

which returned the following. I have no clue where to start, i have many errors in the system and hoped there was a function to recheck the installation. I really don’t wanna loose my emails and i hope i can recover them.

Hope i can find any help here. Thanks in advance

Try the steps noted here.

But, to be honest: I doubt you will succeed. Start restoring your backup!

/CV

Thanks for the positive vibes, i got it working like 8 hours ago :slight_smile: you can close this. ez fix

Also nice note to add and good to know that nobody at univention knows about any application they throw in their package. Nice to have a platform you can depend on and people that obviously barely help. I guess the same thing would’ve happened if i called support they would’ve just given up repairing it. Sure its a portal but if you don’t know the applications you put in then don’t add them. The amount of child diseases that univention still has is far in the sky. Coding isn’t on point either, so many things that needed fixing. after 3 years i noticed it was a mistake to go down this road, waste of money. You won’t see me again here :slight_smile: have a nice day

For the record: the problem here isn’t Univention, it’s MySQL’s/MariaDB’s incredible brittleness. Whenever there’s a problem in one of the InnoDB files, all you as an admin can do is gradually increase the innodb_recovery option and praying that the database server does actually come up with a low enough setting that you can subsequently recover data by running mysqldump.

Over the past decades I’ve had MySQL/MariaDB crash that way countless times, e.g. due to power outages, hard drive failures or plain old bugs. I can count the number of times I’ve been able to recover all (or even most) data with innodb_recovery on one hand.

All other cases ended with having to restore a backup.

Yeah, both products are that shitty.

1 Like