Bind failed to start

After last upgrade to version 4.3-0 errata89 Bind failed to start. Could someone please help me to understand why?

This is the error message:

An error occurred

Could not fulfill the request.

Server error message:

Starting the service bind9 failed:
● bind9.service - LSB: bind9 Domain Name Server (DNS)
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/bind9; generated; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2018-05-31 10:48:23 CEST; 31ms ago
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
Process: 7280 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/bind9 start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
CPU: 657ms

mag 31 10:48:23 tequila systemd[1]: Starting LSB: bind9 Domain Name Server (DNS)...
mag 31 10:48:23 tequila bind9[7280]: Starting bind9 Domain Name Server (DNS): Unknown DNS backend failed!
mag 31 10:48:23 tequila systemd[1]: bind9.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
mag 31 10:48:23 tequila systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: bind9 Domain Name Server (DNS).
mag 31 10:48:23 tequila systemd[1]: bind9.service: Unit entered failed state.
mag 31 10:48:23 tequila systemd[1]: bind9.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

I forgot to say that this is my MASTER DOMAIN server and that looking on UCR dns/backend now is empty. It seems that with last update I lost dns configuration.

What can I do?

Hey @miclan,

hm, empty values for such essential UCR variables are strange. Maybe the update didn’t finish successfully? My first attempt would be:

dpkg --audit
dpkg --configure -a

If this doesn’t fix it automagically, then you should have a look at /var/log/univention/config-registry.replog. All UCR changes should be logged there. To get bind up and running again, I would try to set the UCR variable dns/backend to the value before the update and restart the service.

Best regards,
Michael

Thanks @Grandjean, I solved setting UCR variable dns/backend with samba4 value. I started bind9 service and everything was ok even after a reboot.

Thanks.

1 Like
Mastodon