Backup UCS running on KVM guest: must I shutdown?

I am running UCS inside a KVM guest and would like to make regular backup. Do I need to shutdown UCS before taking backup? Or can I use the snapshot backup, which means the disks are frozen for a few seconds for backup without UCS knowing about it.

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Hello tony2,

KVM allows live snapshots and “normal” snapshots. In my test VMs, I have always taken live snapshots and have not encountered any problems. In a productive environment with possible users, interfaces, etc., I would always log off the users for reasons of data security, shut down the system and then take a snapshot.
Please also note the order in which UCS system roles are backed up and restored.

Regards
rheyer

Hello rheyer,

thank you for your answer. I am a bit unsure about the difference between live snapshot and “normal” snapshot. I use ProxmoxVE as the KVM host and I guess the snapshot feature in ProxmoxVE refers to live snapshot?

Regards,
Tony

Hello tony2,

i use ProxmoxVE also. In the Proxmox-Wiki you can read about the differences between the three backup modes (suspend, stop and snapshot). Maybe you get there some technical details about the snapshot functions.

Sources:

Regards
rheyer

1 Like
Mastodon