User Windows home path folder as share on memberserver - How to disable?

Hello,

I have a DC1 as primary domain controller and SRV2 as memberserver. My domain users has Windows home drive assaign to H: with path located on DC1 (\DC1.domain_name\user_name). I want to have those user folders located on my PDC.
SRV2 is created as a mail server, CUPS, etc. and also to create other shares, like some shares for specific user groups.
Unfortunately I noticed that on SRV2 there are also user folders created with names user_name from DC1 and also there are windows-profiles folders inside them. SRV2 folders are other folders from one on DC1, files created on DC1 are not available on SRV2 share.
Why is that? How to disable to create this share folders on SRV2?

Thanks for help.

@lekhu i will try explain from what i understand of ucs “works”
note: i’m difficult to setup it for me…

For your case, i assume you have samba4 installed (ucs working as ad directory) so i assume you have the package active directory connection installed in both servers:
As windows don’t have a master/slave concept both of your servers works as netlogon, so when a user do the login process what happens is a bit of “microsoft magic” as in… the user can do the login in your pdc or in your member server, so the userfolders are created, however because don’t exist none synchronism method between the servers… the files aren’t replicated…

View this topic, maybe you can understand it better How-to: Samba Homes and Shares - Basics

On member server I have a package called Windows compatible Member Server installed to use it as file sharing server not domain slave.
I saw topic How-to: Samba Homes and Shares - Basics, but didn’t find solution why all of this happens and how to disable it.
Still have no idea why user Windows home is also created on my memberserver and I really want to avoid it.

@Lekhu in your member server please run this

ucr get samba4/role

Samba home shares are enabled by default on all UCS servers where the Samba feature is installed. However, the underlying file system isn’t shared by default.

You have a couple of options at this point:

1. Mount the /home directory from your main server to all the other Samba servers via NFS. That way the same underlying file system will be used, no matter which Samba server the user connects to. In order to do this, create an NFS share in the UMC for that main server for /home. Then you can configure your users so that their home directory will auto-mounted whenever they connect. Edit a user, go to their “Accounts” tab, scroll down to “POSIX”, select the share you’ve just created in “home share” and set “home share path” to the path relative to the home share (e.g.: if your home share is for /home, your user name is jdoe and the home directory on the server is /home/jdoe then your “home share path” should just be jdoe).
  2. Disable the home shares for Samba by setting the UCR variable samba/share/home to no and restarting the Samba daemon.
  3. Ignore the issue.

m.

It returs nothing.

Administrator@Srv2:/home$ ucr get samba4/role
Administrator@Srv2:/home$

If I use option 2, and set samba/share/home to off an my memberserver (Srv2) it will affect only Srv1 and my Windows home folder set on Dc1 is safe?

Yes. UCR variables only ever affect the one server they’re set on.

Thanks for all for help :slight_smile:

BUT!

I really have changed samba/share/home to no and restarting memberserver Srv1 and still everytime user log in into domain user folder on memberserver is created :thinking:

Edit: This affect only users created before changing this variable. Other folders are not created.

Is the correct path for the home directory set to your DC set in the user settings? It is next to the place where you set the drive letter for the home drive.

Mastodon