Upgrade UCS (3.0) with multiple servers and Zarafa (7)

Our customer is having issues upgrading his UCS systems with Zarafa from version 3.0 to 3.1. He has sometimes found an error message that says he can’t upgrade because there is no Zarafa 4UCS upgrade for him.

I sent them the download.zarafa.com/univention-z … grade.html he advises:

"This upgrade guide appears to assume that there is only one UCS server and
consequently does not adequately cover the procedure for updating both of the servers
although the UCS 3.1 release notes does state that the PDC should be updated first. I
have completed the steps to prepare for the upgrade up to and including the execution
of ‘sh update-local repository’ and can confirm that the option to upgrade to UCS 3.1
is now available on the mail server and intermittently on the PDC (seems to depend on
how it feels at the time)

Having read through both documents I have constructed what I believe to be an
appropriate update path but would like it reviewed and corrected by someone with far
more knowledge than myself prior to proceeding:

Step 1 - PDC

• Install release update from UMC
  • execute ‘univention-run-join-scripts’ from SSH connection
  • Restart Server

Step 2 - Mail Server

• Install release update from UMC
  • execute ‘univention-run-join-scripts’ from SSH connection
  • Restart Server

Step 3 - PDC

• Obtain and update extended licence key per instructions
  • execute ‘univention-add-app zarafa’
  • execute ‘ucr set update/secure_apt=“yes”’
  • execute ‘apt-get update’

** I assume these actions are unnecessary on the Mail Server

Step 4 - PDC

• execute ‘ucr unset repository/online/component/zarafa4ucs/defaultpackages’
  • execute ‘ucr unset repository/online/component/zarafa4ucs/server’
  • execute ‘ucr unset repository/online/component/zarafa4ucs/version’
  • execute ‘ucr unset repository/online/component/zarafa4ucs’

Step 5 - Mail Server

• execute ‘ucr unset repository/online/component/zarafa4ucs/defaultpackages’
  • execute ‘ucr unset repository/online/component/zarafa4ucs/server’
  • execute ‘ucr unset repository/online/component/zarafa4ucs/version’
  • execute ‘ucr unset repository/online/component/zarafa4ucs’
  • Remove temporary directory
  • Remove local Zarafa4ucs component repositories

I assume all upgrades should be performed when all users are logged off. " I have advised that it is always wise to upgrade whilst users are not on the system and to take a backup before starting any upgrade.

The systems he is running are UCS 3.0-2 and zarafa4ucs 7.1.1000 set up on a PDC and slave
as the mail server.

Hi,
at first a warm welcome to this forum and greetings to down under! (I dont believe that your nickname would be used by someone else.)

I could only see a one point which probably should be corrected:

Apps are always added on the host where the application is about to be installed. If this application requires something to be installed on a DC it will be done without additional steps.
In this special case, the command “univention-add-app zarafa” is used to add the repository and enable the upgrade path of Zarafa through the App Center. This means that you have to execute it on the Mail Server.
Although I have already done this kind of update I dont remember if I have used univention-add-app on the DC. According to the help it will not not install anything until one of the install switches are used.

[code]root@master:~# univention-add-app --help
Usage: univention-add-app [-a] [-m] [-l] [ …]

univention-add-app prepares the corresponding repository settings for the
specified component and installs the given packages.

Options:
-h, --help show this help message and exit
-a, --all Installs all DefaultPackages of the app. If DC master or
backup, also installs DefaultPackagesMaster. Performs dist-
upgrade when upgrading an existing app!
-m, --master If DC master or backup, installs DefaultPackagesMaster.
Performs dist-upgrade when upgrading an existing app! Has no
meaning when used together with --all
-l, --latest is not the component’s name but the ID of the
application. And always the latest available gets added. Has
to be combined with --all or --master!
[/code]

The update of Zarafa itself will not be done automatically at this time. You can start it later from the App Center in UMC on the Mail Host.

Best Regards,
Dirk Ahrnke

Just to clarify what you have said, are you saying that he should not run the “univention-add-app zarafa” command on the PDC only on the Mailserver?

He should run this step on the Mailserver and once this server has been upgraded on the Univention side, he should then run the App Centre and upgrade Zarafa to the latest version?

Should he run all the other commands that he listed?

No, running it on the Mailserver is required. Running it on the DC might not be needed but should not cause problems.

Yes, in case he wants to get the latest Zarafa version at this point.

Yes. Everything else looks ok from a theoretical perspective.

Best Regards,
Dirk

Our customer is still unable to upgrade his UCS 3.0 system so he is very frustrated with both Univention and Zarafa at present. He has tried to upgrade UCS 3.0 as per the steps stated but he still gets errors (I have asked him to document them for me so we can help him further but he hasn’t had time to retry the upgrade yet).

However, I found this post Update 3.0 auf 3.1 mit Zarafa: Unerwarteter Verlauf - unfortunately for me in German but thank goodness for Google Translate I hope I have an idea what this was about. One interesting point in this is the comment that "You must (not .1000) install the integration package zarafa4ucs-7.1.2000. The actual Zarafa installation will not be touched.
After that, you can upgrade go to UCS 3.1. "

Does this mean that our customer should install zarafa4ucs-7.1.2000 before he tries to upgrade and does this apply to his PDC or just to the Mailserver in his network?

Yes, installing zarafa4ucs-7.1.2000 is required to upgrade from UCS 3.0 to 3.1. You will have to do it on all systems which have 7.1.1000 installed. Otherwise the system runs against the blocking mechanism mentioned in http://download.zarafa.com/univention-zarafa-upgrade.html#_preparation_on_ucs_3_0.

Best Regards,
Dirk

Mastodon