UCS 5 unter VMWare 6.7

Hi,
einer unserer Kunden hat noch VMWare 6.7 und kann aus verschiedenen Gründen auch nicht updaten.

Er hat nun Bedenken bzgl. eines Updates auf UCS 5, weil dafür keine Zertifizierung vorliegt.

Ist das begründet?
Hat jemand, der das hier liest, dies so erfolgreich und produktiv im Einsatz?

LG,
Roland.

Hi,
I’m still stuck on VMware 6.7 and running UCS 5.0.2 for 8 months…
The only issues i had are:

1. with the “apps” not all are updated.
  2. Be REAL careful with the networking on 5.0.x ,there were some bugs where the interfaces were not mapped correctly and some data was “null”, but they issued a fix. (it broke the store & other things)
    so make sure the UCS is fully updated before the first startup.

Besides, you can cold snapshot the 4.x before upgrade and take it back if the 5.x is not to your liking.
as long as your site is not replicated…

Öhmmm… liegt den für UCS4 und VMware 7 eine Zertifizierung vor? Das würde mich etwas wundern… Link?

Im Unterbau hat sich von 6 zu 7 nicht viel geändert. Der Hypervisor ist im Großen und Ganzen unverändert- nur die Verwaltungstools haben sich verbessert. Und es gibt Kubernetes und Cloud-Krams dazu. Siehe hier.

Also: Hau wech den alten Scheiss! :wink:

/KNEBB

Nope sorry… got to disagree… there are significant changes on 7.0 , also be aware that you “CANNOT” just get rid of it…
for example we still cannot access some global sites to upgrade due to pandemic rules, and since you cannot do a partial update…
it’s not a simple case of “just getting rid of it” upgrading.

Hi,

of course there are changes. I did not deny. But not so many on the hypervisor itself. Which is the one responsible for running the virtual machines.
As there appears to be no compatibility certification for UCS 4 or UCS 5 with VMware 6.x anyways it should not matter which VMware the customer runs.
Additionally, even when staying on 6.7 he should update UCS to 5. Again, there is no compatibility issue to be expected.

Whatever to get rid of: UCS4 or VMware 6.7- just do whatever is possible!

/KNEBB

Mastodon