[SOLVED] DNS forward to subdomain on external server

dns

Hi,

I am using an UCS 4.3 server and have the DNS server activated. The FQDN of this server is in the style subdomain.domain.tld. One of our services is hosted external. Now I have the problem, that clients which are using the UCS server as DNS can not find the external server by the host name in the style subdomain2.domain.tld.

Now I created a host record in the DNS zone domain.tld with the name “subdomain2.domain.tld” and the IP-Adress of this external server as value. But the clients still can not reach this server.

What do I have to do that the clients can reach this server?

Andy

Add a DNS A record

Moin,

do they fail to resolve ‘subdomain2.domain.tld’ or do they fail to reach the resulting address?

They fail to resolve.

Moin,

please check the output of

univention-ldapsearch relativeDomainName=subdomain2

The output is:

# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <dc=domain,dc=tld> (default) with scope subtree
# filter: relativeDomainName=subdomain2
# requesting: ALL
#

# search result
search: 3
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 1

I replaced the original domain names with domain, tld and subdomain2 in this posting.

So the entry for subdomain2 never made it to the LDAP. If you check in the UMC, you should not find the entry there, too. Try creating it again.

So, maybe I did it completely wrong . . .

Maybe you could help me with the steps? This is how I did it:

1. opened DNS-Settings under Domain
  2. Selected the zone domain.tld on the left side
  3. Added a host record for subdomain2.domain.tld with the external IP address as value

Cheers!

Andy

If you really entered subdomain2.domain.tld in the ‘Hostname’ field, you actually created an A record for ‘subdomain2.domain.tld.domain.tld’.

Hi,

I’m resolving such need with creating a DNS Zone on the UCS DNS Server

Zone name = FQDN of external server and ip = ip address of the external server - this works for me on different installations since years - do not know if there is a better way

rg
Christian

@bytemine: Good to know … I only did this because there was already a record like this for the univention server.

@externa1: Thx, it’s working like a charm.