OT: which rescue systems you use?

Hi@all,

which live systems you use to repair linux systems?

with best
sven

I exclusively use grml.
It comes with some unique tools like grml-crypt, grml-debootstrap or grml-chroot but also with gparted or clonezilla.

man-pages can be found here: http://grml.org/online-docs/ and don’t forget to checkout grml-cheatcodes

HTH
/thorsten

Back in the day I used to use the System Rescue CD, but nowadays I exclusively use grml, just like Thorsten. I switched as grml seemed to contain more of the programs that I needed and more programs that actually make your life easier (such as grml-chroot which is a godsend, especially if you have to chroot into a broken installation often enough). grml used to boot faster, too; though I haven’t compared recent versions for quite a while now.

Both projects support modifying and rebuilding them and feature extensive documentation for the whole process. For example, I’m using a customized grml in which root's SSH setup includes my public key so that I can ssh into a newly bootet grml without passwords (which also avoids having to set a password each time I start grml).

For the rare cases when I might need a full-blown desktop environment I usually keep a current copy of Knoppix around, too, but those cases are rare nowadays.

:sunglasses: :+1:

Another cool thing about grml is its presence in debian and ucs via grml-rescueboot.
You can throw a grml-iso to /boot/grml and it will automatically be listed in the grub menu (I use this feature e.g. on my laptop).
You can also pass some parameters like the language or the ssh password (unfortunately no key support here).

apt install grml-rescueboot
cp -p /home/`whoami`/Downloads/grml64-full_2017.05.iso /boot/grml/
echo 'CUSTOM_BOOTOPTIONS="ssh=SecretSshPassword toram lang=de noprompt"' >> /etc/default/grml-rescueboot
/usr/sbin/update-grub

read this for more info: https://michael-prokop.at/blog/2011/01/07/booting-iso-images-from-within-grub2/

1 Like
Mastodon