Laps in ucs local administrator password

hi,

is there a way to use laps in ucs?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/mt227395.aspx

Thx!

Erik

happy new year everyone… does someone else tried to use laps?

Hey,

After your initial question I had tried to install it in my test environment. However, I wasn’t even able to get it to install on Windows correctly — meaning that after installing it on a Windows 7 machine and starting PowerShell, all I got were some error messages when trying to execute the PowerShell commandlets that’re supposed to install the ActiveDirectory extensions. Therefore I cannot really say whether or not this is supposed to work.

The client-side portion is easy enough and shouldn’t a pose a problem. It’s just a small installer providing group policy stuff. Nothing fancy there. What I do see as a potential problem is the AD schema extension. It’s not that you cannot extend the AD schema used by Samba; the process is described here for using SCCM, for example. However, the way that LAPS does it is by calling some PowerShell commandlets that’re supposed to connect to the AD server and extend the schema there. I don’t know (and haven’t found any documentation) whether or not that is supported by Samba (this is more of an issue with Samba 4, not with Univention Corporate Server).

Kind regards
mosu

yes exaktly… so we need to wait until samba will support laps correctly?

I don’t know. Like I said, I wasn’t actually able to get PowerShell to even start the commandlets — and that part didn’t have anything to do with Samba yet. Therefore I cannot answer your question.

i think this ps commandlets are only executable in a windows server (as active directory server) to extend the ad schema… so is it not possible to extrend the sabma ad schema manualy?

That’s possible, though I had hoped that the commandlets would be executable on any domain-joined machine and that they’d do their work over the net.

In general it is possible to extend Samba’s AD schema, but that’s a manual process (see e.g. the article about integrating SCCM with Univention) that I’ve already linked to above).